Is it worth running multiple tanks or sticking to the one?

Shawn D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hated having a frag tank in the basment. I never wanted to run down there and check on it, feed it, etc… after years of wanting one decided it was not for me. Main display is on the main floor. Took the frag tank down and just made a frag tank area in the sump. It’s more of an area to collect broken corals from cleaning. Having two tanks side by side might be another story.

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just want one. but wanted to see how hard it was. so started with a biocube 32 AIO for the no thinking about what I need. the realized the majority of the fish I want its too small. so got a big tank hoping to go back to just one. but then certain fish don't get along with others so its 2 for now.

Fritz05

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keeping multiple systems, if possible, can be great for those unexpected events ex: new fish being bullied, new coral not happy, emergency situation to move livestock & coral into.
Agree with this one. It is always good to be able to put a fish, coral, or invert in another tank.

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
seems unnecessary to me. personally, i can understand space constraints will cause or maybe force you into having multiple tanks, or the “don’t put your eggs in one basket” in the event of a failure somewhere. but there WILL be a point where the MTS(multiple tank syndrome) kicks in and you’ll start neglecting things. unless you are a person with discipline, i will bet it will happen. even fully automated systems require routine maintenance, and sometimes life gets in the way and you don’t/won’t have time to maintenance things.

although i would love to have another tank, i believe i’ll always end up having 1 tank, or 2 at most and just as a precaution

Reeferbadness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 180g and a 200 g tank and really enjoy having 2 systems. Ya, water changes are kind of a hassle ( even with a 50 g RODI barrel and a 50 g mixing station ) but I love the ability to experiment with different things as well as rehome corals that aren’t thriving in one tank and then do well when moved.

Roatan Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1 125 Freshwater Mixed South American Cichlid Tank
1 Planted 5 gallon Freshwater Tank
1 40GB Saltwater
1 13.5 Fluval Evo Saltwater...

Soon...a smaller Frag tank too.

Never a dull moment. It's not that bad though, but always something to do.

Last edited:

gmflex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently have 2 tanks in my leaving room..
208 & 210 gallon.. Both FOWLR tanks with fake coral / live rock.. Got some triggers and they will eat anything I put in the tank..

divewsharks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 150G, an IM40G and a recently setup PNW customs 40oz. 40G is for my CSB’s, they like to walk and can’t have that in the big display which is acro dominant.

Also have 3 FW tanks, biggest being 30G. If I had space, I would add another….

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 113 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.2%
Back