How many of you guys keep backups of your equipment? Which ones do you back up?

What equipment do you have backups for?

• Tank

Votes: 136 21.5%
  • Powerhead/Circulation Pump

Votes: 457 72.2%
  • Return Pump

Votes: 426 67.3%
  • Lights

Votes: 190 30.0%
  • ATO

Votes: 124 19.6%
  • Heater

Votes: 480 75.8%
  • Dosing Pump or Calcium Reactor Equipment (or something else you use for autodosing elements)

Votes: 95 15.0%
  • Controller

Votes: 64 10.1%
  • Autofeeder

Votes: 54 8.5%
  • Utility pumps

Votes: 194 30.6%

• Total voters

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just keep backups of what I feel are the two most important items a return pump and heater.. anything else I can get in a couple days if needed.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! I didn't realize how much equipment I have that's not in active use. I have less expensive backups of almost every thing.

Return pump Vectra M1....back up an AC Sicce of same max flow rate

Lights: Hydra 52HDx3.......back up a single AI Vega

Heaters: exact copies of my Eheims

ATO : Tunze 3155................back up pump and a full system of the cheaper Tunze unit

Power heads: MP40x2, MP10 x2.......back up Sicce power heads of similar flow

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Gotta have Back-ups. Seems problems occur on a Sunday night when the stores are closed.

U

User1

View Badges
Return pump. I use the same one on my skimmer. If the skimmer goes offline no big deal. If the return pump goes offline that is a bigger problem. I can swap out the Cor 15 in two minutes or so. If need be I can use another pump, a larger mag, for either to get me by until I fix or replace.

RussiReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Return pump,chiller,dosing pump spare parts. Also have an extra GFO and carbon.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a backup for just about anything. Much of it is from my older system. The only thing I purchased specifically as a backup are heaters and a return pump. I purchased 2 identical Sicce return pumps and swap them out every 3 months. That way there isn't a time crunch to get them replaced for cleaning. Otherwise, I kept the MP40's, lights, skimmer, reactor pump, and full Apex system from my old build. Last month I reprogrammed my old Apex so it can run my new tank without a struggle. I also keep a 55g, 20g and 10g aquarium ready to set up.

I have plans this winter to buy a spare 4 head doser and ATO.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an extra wet side for my mp40 other than that Ill piece together something or use my mixing equipment until a replacement is had....That's is also a good excuse to tryout the latest offering

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have backups for a lot of stuff because I have other tanks I could borrow from in an emergency. The only thing I don’t have is a backup return pump. The pumps in the other tanks aren’t big enough to do any good in the 60 gallon.

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need an option for 'none of the above'. Well, I do have a spare heater...

My tank can do without any of these for as long as it takes me to get a new one.

I do have a battery powered air pump, just to stir the surface, if the power goes out for more than an hour or so.

Rcpilot

Addicted to LPS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm gathering parts and pieces for a new 180g build. I'll be ordering 2 identical return pumps and at least 1 spare heater.

ScooterV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My return pump is a Varios-8 and my skimmer has a Varios-6, so I have a spare Varios-6 that can fill in for either. I have a spare Varios-8 power supply that can also power the skimmer. Still working on making sure spare impellers on hand. I have more heaters than I can count around the house and garage. Most are small, but combined I'm more than covered there :) I'm up to four Stenner pumps so if the one for the ATO failed I could just grab the one doing my crazy skimmer rinse and empty for a bit.

For emergencies I have five 10 gallon tanks and two 29g and a stack of rubbermaid totes. With five Radion XR30 I figure I can survive one being out until repaired/replaced so only a couple PAR 40 lights I could add if I had to. I've got enough redundancy built in I feel pretty safe though and the Apex itself is my single point of failure but I could get by for a bit as long as I'm not on vacation or something.

tankstudy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of the 10 things listed, I keep 7 of 10 backed up. I don't currently own a controller or an automated feeder.

I'm already using the back up doser so I don't have a back up doser for the back up doser.

Over the years, I've found that it's very important to have back up equipment because you can't always walk in to the LFS and get what you need or have parts mailed to you overnight.

Josm315

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like after only 5 years in the hobby I've amassed a lot of spare equipment. I've got pretty much an entire closet dedicated to spare stuff and even have a bit of rock/sand smaller tanks in my shed. It trickles a bit into the spare bedroom where I also keep saltwater/RODI cans my wife so affectionately calls our 'junk room'.

I've got extra return pumps, powerheads, lights, heaters, etc. Not all of them are a direct match for my current equipment but can be jury-rigged as a temporary solution until a match or upgrade can come in. The rest of the closet is pretty much extra salt, additives, bulbs that I bought in bulk the last 'black Friday' sale.

CindyKz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have lights, heaters, powerheads. They aren't exactly what's in there (no extra mp40s in my house lol) but I have pieces that will suffice if needed

One thing I keep putting off is a spare return pump. I really should have that!

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a spare return pump...but then used it on another tank.

I have lots of old powerheads, a skimmer, a heater, two 55 gallon tanks, but most of my fish and corals could fit in a 20 gallon. I could rig an ATO/doser pretty quick out of a jug and some tubing. I don't have backup lighting except for a metal halide fixture that may or may not work.

I acutally have had two disasters where extra equipment came in handy. First was a heat wave event where I basically had to recure the whole tank. I set up a separate tank to keep some of the better rock and coral alive. Second time was when I cracked the DT, everything went into the middle fuge tank and survived fine while I rebuilt my current setup.

bobyboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My backup pump is plumbed and ready to go as soon as the Apex detects a failure!
I also have 3 heaters plugged in and 2 dry as well as multiple spare powerheads!

510AF501-3C2E-4C55-B886-664837C705D8.jpeg

Bob Lauson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My backup equipment includes:
Return pump
Heaters
APEX controller
One XR30w Radion
two MP40's (I switched to APEX WAV's)

Like others, I have collected various pumps over the years.

Steadyreef42

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh man I’ve been putting off getting a back up return pump for 2 years. What a great thread to pop up and remind me. Don’t know what you got till it’s gone lol

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought this might be a fun discussion. How many of you guys and gals keep backups of your equipment, and what are you backing up?

I personally have backups for my:
  • Lights - I have a few spare lighting setups that I keep in case I have an issue
  • Return Pump
  • Powerheads - I have 1 extra MP40 and 1 extra MP10
  • Controller - I have an extra Apex brain
  • Tank - I have an extra tank (ok...more than 1) that I could use to hold livestock if my tank were to fail on me
  • Heater - I have 3 back ups for my heater...I'm paranoid. LOL
  • ATO - I have a B grade ATO on standby in case my ATK ever goes on me
What are you backing up? What additional thoughts do you have on how to backup equipment?

One additional thing I'll note is that my backup equipment is usually bought used (in good working order) to save a little money on something I hope I don't need.

I might also add that while it's a great idea to back up your equipment with what you currently have, having something that may e a B grade compared to what you usually use is still MUCH BETTER than having nothing.

What are you using? I'm putting in a poll, but definitely let me know if I need to add more categories. :D

I am much like you. Only item I don't keep spares of that you mention is a tank, which I regret, but probably won't remedy anytime soon. I generally just buy another new instance of whatever I'm currently using, aside from a few suboptimal old pumps and heaters that I could put into service if needed. Also spare RSR 450 ATO reservoir and plumbing components. Apex pH and ORP probes, DOS heads, optical sensors. Gyre pump and controller. Extra Tunze Aquawind. Spares of all the test equipment, test reagents, and other reef chemicals I'm currently using. Etc. :)

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 51 20.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 182 72.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.8%
Back