How many of you guys keep backups of your equipment? Which ones do you back up?

What equipment do you have backups for?

• Tank

Votes: 136 21.5%
  • Powerhead/Circulation Pump

Votes: 457 72.2%
  • Return Pump

Votes: 426 67.3%
  • Lights

Votes: 190 30.0%
  • ATO

Votes: 124 19.6%
  • Heater

Votes: 480 75.8%
  • Dosing Pump or Calcium Reactor Equipment (or something else you use for autodosing elements)

Votes: 95 15.0%
  • Controller

Votes: 64 10.1%
  • Autofeeder

Votes: 54 8.5%
  • Utility pumps

Votes: 194 30.6%

• Total voters

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I thought this might be a fun discussion. How many of you guys and gals keep backups of your equipment, and what are you backing up?

I personally have backups for my:
  • Lights - I have a few spare lighting setups that I keep in case I have an issue
  • Return Pump
  • Powerheads - I have 1 extra MP40 and 1 extra MP10
  • Controller - I have an extra Apex brain
  • Tank - I have an extra tank (ok...more than 1) that I could use to hold livestock if my tank were to fail on me
  • Heater - I have 3 back ups for my heater...I'm paranoid. LOL
  • ATO - I have a B grade ATO on standby in case my ATK ever goes on me
What are you backing up? What additional thoughts do you have on how to backup equipment?

One additional thing I'll note is that my backup equipment is usually bought used (in good working order) to save a little money on something I hope I don't need.

I might also add that while it's a great idea to back up your equipment with what you currently have, having something that may e a B grade compared to what you usually use is still MUCH BETTER than having nothing.

What are you using? I'm putting in a poll, but definitely let me know if I need to add more categories. :D

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not really by choice, but I do have a complete extra system running empty. It was a fowlr but the lionfish in it died. If something were to happen to my main tank I could simply move everything over. This is mostly do to the fact I live in the middle of nowhere and cant just pick up a few random fish for the tank. So it sits with live rock, skimmer and powerheads, heater ect going for nothing. There is just a low powered led so I'd have to move some lighting over.

My frag tank is also a separate system in case of emergency. Besides the extra systems I have an extra return and heaters. If a powerhead were to die in my main tank I'd take one from another until a replacement arrived. I also have all kinds of boxes of random fish junk that most people accumulate over the years. I think my last build finally used up most of my random pvc parts but I do have all kinds of extra parts that usually end up being used at one time or another. In fact I have a nano that does not have an ato. When I go away which is rare, I use old dosing pumps for semi ato on the nano and the frag tank.

Eastlake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been collecting equipment over a great many number of years so I have a back up for almost everything lol. At times I look at my "junk" pile and think "self, you know you should get rid of this stuff" and shortly there after I always end up needing to dive into the "junk" pile for a back up pump or light or some other piece of equipment that was top of the line ages ago to get me by until I can get a replacement for whatever equipment eventually fails. Plus, I've got friends with tanks and I always have an extra something lying around when they are in need of a loaner, even tanks. The biggest "spare" that I have collecting dust in my shed right now is an 80 drilled rimless.

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a bunch of spare parts but only because they came from old tanks....they could all be implemented if need be though :)
Haha! Same! Some of my backups were either from other tanks or bought in prep for an upgrade. However, I'll be sure to keep a designated backup of each of the above. I've seen too many equipment failures mess people up badly at this point. :)

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a drop in replacement for my main pump and a couple of spare heaters. I do also have a few storage tubs of old equipment, some of which could be pressed into service in an emergency; otherwise prime 2-day is good enough.

CC13

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pumps - return pump and seal kits
RO/DI - filters, membranes, fittings, o-rings
Plumbing - tons of new unions, o-rings, ball and gate valves, various other fittings in most sizes
Tank - Only for my refiugium (it was an old tank I used)
Heaters - New heaters I bought but haven't used yet

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My backups have backups. LOL.

I honestly keep at least one of everything extra. May not be as powerful or as good as the ones I use, but all will get me by until a replacement comes in.

I even keep a spare sump from about 20 years ago laying around.

CC13

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My backups have backups. LOL.

I honestly keep at least one of everything extra. May not be as powerful or as good as the ones I use, but all will get me by until a replacement comes in.

I even keep a spare sump from about 20 years ago laying around.

Its always that .03 cent 0-ring that starts to leak on the Friday to a long weekend when everyone is gone and all the stores are closed.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a spare heater, spare return pump, and extra powerheads should any of mine fail. I also have a spare 40 gallon breeder in the basement that was my undrilled tank. Can use it in an emergency if needed :)

Tuffyyyyy

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have spares of just about everything. None of them are new though, they're all the older versions of things that I have upgraded.

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  • Lights - I keep a spare Black box just in case
  • Return Pump - mine quit starting on its own. bought a new one and old is now an emergency backup. I also have a handful of basic pumps for emergencies (salt mixers)
  • Powerheads - yup. old ones go to backup duties.
  • Controller - I dont have an extra but can get by.
  • Tank - do the 3 10 gallon ones on the shelf in the garage count?
  • Heater - yes. backups are used regularly to heat water change water.
  • ATO - Spare Aqualifter maybe 2.

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow ! I'm not the only one with a "large" collection of old stuff ! I have various tanks, power heads ,pumps, hose, lengths of pvc , hob overflows etc. I have black box lights . On & on .

Reef Dude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a bunch of spare parts but only because they came from old tanks....they could all be implemented if need be though :)

Same here. But if I didn’t already have backups from prior systems, I for sure would seek out a backup return pump and backup heaters. One thing I actually just did recently is bought some uni-seals so that I could make-shift a brute trash can or Rubbermaid container into a holding tank should my display ever leak/break since I do not have any backup aquariums.

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its always that .03 cent 0-ring that starts to leak on the Friday to a long weekend when everyone is gone and all the stores are closed.

I actually have an O-ring kit in the shop. A ton of different hose clamps and wire connectors. And a roll of gasket material in 1/16" and 1/8" thick just in case. :D

PDR

<°)))>{
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a lot of random old stuff that could be useful in an emergency, but as far as real backups...none :confused:

Reef Dude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a lot of random old stuff that could be useful in an emergency, but as far as real backups...none :confused:

Haha. I wonder how many of us reefers are pack rats, storing stuff away when we upgrade or make changes? I have boxes and boxes of old aquarium supplies, some pumps are from 15 years ago. I think the only time I throw any equipment out is when something is broken or poses a safety hazard. Otherwise, it gets packed away because you never know when you’re going to need it, right?:rolleyes: I have no excuse for some of the stuff I’m still holding on to.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a back-up fanatic! I ticked everything on your list except for "tank", and I could argue that the 100 gallon stock tank I have is my emergency "tank" replacement. I also have back-up pumps for my skimmer, it being a POC Atmann pump. Here's an example of the two lighting systems I have. The white railed are now SBReef, and the black rails are Fathom. I'm able to flip out my lights in about five minutes.

Light Racks.jpg

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 2.1%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 27 14.4%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 91 48.7%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 57 30.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.7%

Back