How many power heads needed for my tank?

Krixic

A Tad Obsessed
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 45 gal + 20 gal sump tank that I recently purchased. It came with a Vortech MP10 QDW. Is that enough for the tank? I understand it all varies based on my aquascape and the types of corals and fish I keep. But how do I gauge whats enough flow and whats not? I have someone who is filling to trade my MP10 for their MP40, would that be benifical to my tank? Or should I puchace another MP10 if I need more flow?

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would buy another MP10 for the tank, that way you have flow coming from different directions along with the variable reef crest mode on the pump. With the 2 of those you will have enough flow for anything.

OP
OP
Krixic

Krixic

A Tad Obsessed
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would buy another MP10 for the tank, that way you have flow coming from different directions along with the variable reef crest mode on the pump.

Whats variable reef crest mode? Sorry im new to Vortech pumps so I dont completely understand all their usablity. If you have an article I can refer to that would be good as well.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef Crest mode is a variable speed mode, Ecotech have, I believe, 9 modes. Most people, including myself use the reef crest mode to change the rate of flow throughout the day.

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Few things of note.

I would be cautious about that trade for the mp40. Is it also QD? MFG date? Are the bearings worn and it's noisy, etc? It could just be that they are downsizing, but be cautious and be discerning :).

Secondly, if it were apples to apples and you were planning on getting a larger tank in the future, a mp40 is a great idea. You can always turn the flow down and it's ready for your upgrade in the future!

Last, you may get away with one mp10 plus return depending on what you're stocking. Honestly, I would start with one mp10 (or your trade for your mp40) and post a video of your flow or watch videos to compare. You'll likely want two mp10s if you're running sps, but that second one can be bought later (plus you can wait for a good deal). Since you're just starting out, one mp10 will be plenty fine at first and you can buy the second pump once you start stocking corals if the need arises. No use in getting fantastic flow if it's still at the planning/box of rocks stage in my opinion ;)

OP
OP
Krixic

Krixic

A Tad Obsessed
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Few things of note.

I would be cautious about that trade for the mp40. Is it also QD? MFG date? Are the bearings worn and it's noisy, etc? It could just be that they are downsizing, but be cautious and be discerning :).

Secondly, if it were apples to apples and you were planning on getting a larger tank in the future, a mp40 is a great idea. You can always turn the flow down and it's ready for your upgrade in the future!

Last, you may get away with one mp10 plus return depending on what you're stocking. Honestly, I would start with one mp10 (or your trade for your mp40) and post a video of your flow or watch videos to compare. You'll likely want two mp10s if you're running sps, but that second one can be bought later (plus you can wait for a good deal). Since you're just starting out, one mp10 will be plenty fine at first and you can buy the second pump once you start stocking corals if the need arises. No use in getting fantastic flow if it's still at the planning/box of rocks stage in my opinion ;)

For sure, Im just trying to keep myself busy while this tank cycles for the next couple of months. Appreciate the good info!

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.0%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 169 67.3%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back