Mp10 or gyre

Contractor_Chris

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just trying to take a quick poll of opinions. I've decided to set up a 30 gal (24x24x12) frag tank and piggy back it off my 180 gal display tanks sump.
It will be a Bare bottom tank. Someone who's been helping me immensely has an almost identical set up and swears by a gyre (not sure what brand or size). I trust him very much so leaning that way (prob ai orbit i'd go with? ) but I know nothing about gyre pumps.

I like the clean look of vortech mp pumps though (will have 4 mp40s on the 180). And questioned if a mp10 with the wide angle guard/diffuser could work as well. Prob not but I did find a good deal on a mp10 so there's that lol thanks in advance. (So what gyre should I look at)

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gyres move a lot of water, but require frequent maintenance to keep them running without a decrease in flow. If you don’t mind doing the frequent maintenance then I’d say go with a gyre. If you are not likely to keep them clean, I’d pick the MP10.
I use both and am slowly switching all of my power heads to Vortechs. I’m on the lazy side so being able to easily swap the wetsides is perfect for me.

As for brand gyres all I have used is the cheap Jebao ones and they have been running on my tank for years without any issues.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.5%
Back