OP
jason2459

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sponges normally have a "exhaust" hole that's in the middle of it. Intake through the sides and pull through body and vent in middle

Yes. This hole was never there before and the entirety of the sponge along with the others have shrunk in mass.

Just noting changes and since putting in the block I've had lots of them happening in a very small time period. I usually don't see this many changes, relatively, at once. That big sponge has been in my tank growing since 2009. I've had to trim it back many times. I've never seen it shed and shrink.

Edit: I should say I haven't seen it shed this much.Definitely haven't seen it observably shrink. I have seen periodic shedding.

Last edited:
OP
OP
jason2459

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pH didn't get pushed down as far last night and looks like its normal curve again. I do use limewater to supplement calcium, alk and boost pH but its on a timer separate from my ATO so fluctuations daily and seasonally do not effect how much is dosed.

8c8b9ed1734c7784dc7cdf35c0bc1796.jpg

Joel B in FL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always use marinepure and when first introduced usually my corals close up because of the dust that is impossible to rinse off but that will go away in a few days.

I took sometime to look at the stock tank where I am currently letting my rock and Marinepure cycle and I did notice a good amount of dust that has come off the Marinepure. I thought I did a really good job of rinsing the media prior to adding it to the water but there was still a good bit that washed off in the tub. So that might be part of the issue some people are finding, the dust that is initially released has an impact but once that is picked up by mechanical filtration then there are no more issues.

m0nkie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I took sometime to look at the stock tank where I am currently letting my rock and Marinepure cycle and I did notice a good amount of dust that has come off the Marinepure. I thought I did a really good job of rinsing the media prior to adding it to the water but there was still a good bit that washed off in the tub. So that might be part of the issue some people are finding, the dust that is initially released has an impact but once that is picked up by mechanical filtration then there are no more issues.

you also have to make sure to not touch the MP inside the sump. I have them in the refugium with live rocks. Whenever I mess around, the live rocks would chip off the MP.

There was a time when my return outlet keeps getting clogged by chaeto. (my return nozzles were tiny). I would find chaeto blocking it, but it's the MP dust that really get things caught. and I found a ton of MP dust in my refugium. Mostly from corner chips as I grab live rocks in n out..

OP
OP
jason2459

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not much to note today.

pH seems ok. It hit 8 around 11:20am.

Spong looked better, at least not shedding as much today. Didnt noticably shrink anymore.

Yellow Leather still not displaying polyps.

Duncan looks about the same maybe out a bit more.

Anemones look fantastic

I think thats all I've noticed previously

jedimasterben

Bubble coral sting good
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was avoiding adding a Marinepure block to replace the 2 gallons or so of sand in my refugium for denitrification because of any aluminum leaching, as I have a tank full of leather corals. I opted instead for 4L of Seachem deNitrate, rinsed it, and put it into the tank. I've noticed over the last few weeks that things have just looked off, one sinularia completely melted, another is shrunken up, and it and a lobophytum are completely slumped over as if I'd crushed them, and a sarcophyton that has been extremely temperamental. I've been thinking about it and did a bit of research, and it looks like pumice, which is what Seachem Matrix and deNitrate are made of, is an aluminosilicate, similar to Marinepure blocks. It would certainly explain why everything has been so temperamental. Sigh. Just shelled out another $60 for 5L of Eheim Substrat sintered glass media.

OP
OP
jason2459

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I'm still watching my yellow fiji. I dont believe its a nutrient issue as my duncan is more sensitive to that then my leather is.

Still either limited polyps showing or none at all. I was hopeful after seeing it rebound with some polyp extension after turning into that tight ball. But hasn't looked like that since.

jedimasterben

Bubble coral sting good
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My fiji yellow, being one of the MOST fickle corals I've ever owned, has been fine throughout lol. Right now it is fluffy and yellow and has near full polyp extension, though it is still adjusting to my starry blenny using it as a hammock :)

OP
OP
jason2459

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had always wanted a fiji yellow and bubble tips since I started keeping a saltwater tank in 2007. I finally got the nerve to keep them about a year ago. I've always heard how finicky the leather was and scared of the anemones moving everywhere and nuking the tank.

The fiji leather as done great and has grown from around a 2" frag to around 8" now. And the bubbletips are all in the exact same area I placed them in.

Last edited:
OP
OP
jason2459

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Double posted

May as well use this post for something.

Fiji Yellow still looking naked with out the polyps

601435a2ac18d5b889cbb2254d1863b2.jpg

Last edited:

Balz3352

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So question. I have read that it's more of a problem when the water is forced through the Marine pure vs flowing over. What are you doing in your setup?

OP
OP
jason2459

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So question. I have read that it's more of a problem when the water is forced through the Marine pure vs flowing over. What are you doing in your setup?

It is a slow flow over top of it. It sits in my sump where there is a laminar flow of about 750 gph moving from the top of one baffle to the top of another. Its a 40 breeder so that 750 gph is spread out over something like 17-18".

OP
OP
jason2459

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it just shows how important this topic is to folks.
Thanks, to me its a challenge against my skepticism. I have stated several times in the past that I'm not sold that these blocks don't leach anything or that they are 100% safe. But I'm ready to be wrong or right.

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 26 16.6%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 65 41.4%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 22 14.0%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 35 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 5.7%
Back