OP
jason2459

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My fiji yellow has reacted the same the past couple nights. No polyps until late evening.

Tonight being the worse so far for that.

Here it was around 9pm tonight. Pretty closed up too. More so then the past few nights.
503450bd662f84b2b83502de93f9bc88.jpg

It is now after midnight and its finally starting to open up and I can see some nubs showing.

Just the lunar lights are on right now
7a760b38548f44d48a96519aa65bb12c.jpg

edosan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe the question is not if MP block leach aluminum, I do not think triton test lie.
The question is if it is the type of aluminum that will do harm to corals (leathers mainly)or not. In my case, and after more than 1 year using it in different tanks, I will keep them, happy with it. :)

OP
OP
jason2459

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The owners and a few others still claim it does not leach anything. I have seen Triton results for after the blocks or spheres are put in but i haven't seen a before and after.

I think the media leaches Al as do many but I still worried about its reef safeness short and mostly longer term.

My leather has shown abnormal behavior thats for sure. And I've noted unusual events since putting in the blocks. Some of which I think can be contributed an increase in bacteria.

edosan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have read before and after (do not remember where, maybe in RC?) and the AL content change for sure. I have tanks with Soft, Nems, Frags, LPS and SPS (Multi tank sindrome jajaja) all with mp, and no problems. I do not like leather corals much tho , I have a couple and they show full polyp extention, but dono not to much experience with them, but for the rest, and specially sps the only thing wrong is that I have ABNORMAL polyp extention, well at least according to my fellow reefers, they say: Men that is too much poly extention on acros and montis...jajaja ;) (do not think that is only because MP but probably it helps)

Last edited:
OP
OP
jason2459

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've followed along and participated in that long running MarinePure thread from the beginning over at RC. I don't recall seeing any before and after Triton results. I expressed interest in doing it several month ago but I was still nervous about how it would effect my Fiji Leather. Still am and seeing the results now.

OP
OP
jason2459

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going to do a quick 1 month experiment with marine pure ceramic 4"x8"x8" block.

I'm the poster child for ADD and curiosity killed the cat. This hobby is just to much fun as there's so much to play with.

I'm not going to see how it effects my nutrients (N and P). As unless I messed something up, I don't think I've had issues with those since 2010 after I got into feeding bacteria as a carbon source.

What I'm looking for is how much Aluminum will be in my tank after the 1st month. I won't know what form it will be in, if it's truly fully inert or not, but just that it's present. I will also be keeping an eye on my yellow Fiji leather and red mushrooms.

I think it's a perfect time for me to do this as my ATS died on me a few weeks ago. I am building out a new sump room and will bring it back online then. So, I know it won't uptake anything. I don't run GFO so it won't uptake any of it. I do have it and poly filters on hand at all times for those just incase situations.

I did put some GAC online a few days ago but will take it offline as well so I know it won't possibly uptake any Al. I will also keep my ozone generator offline.

I will continue to carbon dose, continue skimming, and continue daily ~1% automatic water changes. Those have been my core import/export mechanisms since around that 2010 time frame.

I have had possibly some trace amounts of Al in my system as detected by Triton.

I did a round of basic tests tonight and sending off a sample to Triton. I should have the block in tomorrow. After the block has been in my system for 30 days I'll send off another water sample to Triton.

If I get results back showing Al up to that set point amount in either before or after results I would not be surprised nor contribute it to the marine pure ceramic blocks.

This is also a good time for me to send off a sample to Triton. After all this testing I've been doing the past several months I had to get all new Salifert Ca, alk, and Mg kits. This will just give me a good quick cross check before I go back to testing multiple salt brands.

The tests from tonight
Salinity:
Apex 34.7
Veegee: 34+
Triton (calculated): 36.5

Temp: 79.7
pH: 8.22

Ca:
API: 480
Salifert: 475
Triton: 471.5

Alk:
API: 11
Hanna: 11.2
Salifert: 11.2

Mg:
Salifert: 1380
Triton: 1379

Nitrates:
Red Sea Pro: 0
Salifert: 0
API: 0

PO4:
Hanna 736 ULR: 3ppb / 0.009198 ppm converted
Triton: 3.15ppb / 0.010ppm calculated by Triton

Side note: I'm also testing for Hanna Alk checker accuracy with what's supposed to be a bad reagent bottle. It's also been stored laying on its side which is supposed to be the worse for it. Seems accurate so far.

I got the Triton results back and they matched up perfectly with the new salifert kits which makes me happy but not surprised. I filled in the blanks above for the Triton results.

Also, it showed 0 Al. But as usual it shows some odd ball elememt from out of no where show up that I have no idea where it would come from. This time its lanthanum. I have does LaCL3 in the past. Like the distant past. Like at least 2 years ago now I think after having a tank disaster. And that was just briefly it was used.

Oh well, here's my before. Now just a couple more weeks to get the after.

2fb084b3192a17eb3fab10781cb5bd9e.jpg

fe705b3a5189f7497784bf5b483a6afa.jpg

719169bb69cd9818c182672a08636cfc.jpg

de465c984a8c5cd11e661bb748c23985.jpg

OP
OP
jason2459

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you have another Triton test between the long ago lanthanum dosing and how?

I've had several but looking at them they didn't have La as a listed element that was tested for. Looks like Triton has expanded what they look for.

So, could be possible its from that dosing. But wow, that was a long while ago.

edosan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have read that some phosfate binders might have lanthanum, maybe is the origin?

OP
OP
jason2459

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have read that some phosfate binders might have lanthanum, maybe is the origin?

I don't use any binders. I'm pretty causious about knowing what I add to the tank. Why I don't trust marketing.

I'm not panicing about it just surprised.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had several but looking at them they didn't have La as a listed element that was tested for. Looks like Triton has expanded what they look for.

So, could be possible its from that dosing. But wow, that was a long while ago.

OK, thanks. It would be nice to see lanthanum over time before and after dosing. I have no idea what levels are attained.

Ojoh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following along. Interested in seeing the results as I was planning on getting one of these blocks for my eventual set up.

yacn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've been reading along....and my ADD got the better of me....too long of a thread and very technical for my attention span

Can someone tell me the bottom line......do the BioPure blocks leach out Aluminum or not???

I put one in my tank about 3 months ago. I have leathers that haven't shown any negative affects. I'd like to know the results of this test in simple terms.....looks to me like zero Aluminum but I thought I would double check

OP
OP
jason2459

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've been reading along....and my ADD got the better of me....too long of a thread and very technical for my attention span

Can someone tell me the bottom line......do the BioPure blocks leach out Aluminum or not???

I put one in my tank about 3 months ago. I have leathers that haven't shown any negative affects. I'd like to know the results of this test in simple terms.....looks to me like zero Aluminum but I thought I would double check

It is highly likely that aluminum is leaching from the media. If you don't see any issues by now it's probably fine for now.

yacn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you!

Is it safe to say if I don't have any leathers I shouldn't worry? I do have one leather now and it looks fine. Does the potential aluminum this product leaches affect any other corals?

edosan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IME (over a year with MP blocks) does not afect any coral (so far) and I love it. Biological filters are easy now with MP

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 17 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 34 12.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 157 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.9%
Back