How much and how often should I be feeding?

Dani305

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
75 gal

1 blue tang
1 Midas blenny
1 yellow tail damsel
1 cleaner shrimp
20 or so hermits
10 snails

Then I have some corals.

I know I’m currently under feeding as I’m throwing in some pellets and about .5 block of shrimp.

Im also currently feeding one time a day.

I am going to start feeding in the morning as well. Should I just do the same amounts as mentioned above, twice a day?

Or should it be more?

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an @AVAST Marine plank autofeeder and I feed 8 times a day. Some fish are fine being fed once a day whereas more active fish need to be fed more often. As long as your input / output mechanism to control nitrates and phosphates are tuned up and can handle it...feed more!!

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only feed the fish and let them feed the corals. I only feed frozen, various cubes, Larrys reef frenzy, and a small amount of pellets once a week to feed shrimp and some fish.

I feed twice a day at 4 cube amounts each time for 15 fish in my 120.

A good rule is feed as much as the fish will consume in 2 minutes.

So for your current fish load I would try one cube twice a day and see how much they consume in 2 minutes.

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
the snails will consume the algae that grows from feeding, so don't worry about those unless no algae is growing. the general rule of thumb is to feed as much as the fish can consume within 2 minutes. every tank is different, so you have to play around with your amounts. judging by your stock list i would say 1/2 cube a day should be fine, alongside the fish pellets.

OP
OP
Dani305

Dani305

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an @AVAST Marine plank autofeeder and I feed 8 times a day. Some fish are fine being fed once a day whereas more active fish need to be fed more often. As long as your input / output mechanism to control nitrates and phosphates are tuned up and can handle it...feed more!!
I have my skimmer coming next week so I think we’ll be safe!

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my skimmer coming next week so I think we’ll be safe!
Skimmer helps but it is only part of the equation. Skimmer's remove the organic matter prior to break down..but once it is broken down, the nitrates are in the water and you are stuck with either chemical filtration, natural filtration (Algae) or water changes.

OP
OP
Dani305

Dani305

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only feed the fish and let them feed the corals. I only feed frozen, various cubes, Larrys reef frenzy, and a small amount of pellets once a week to feed shrimp and some fish.

I feed twice a day at 4 cube amounts each time for 15 fish in my 120.

A good rule is feed as much as the fish will consume in 2 minutes.

So for your current fish load I would try one cube twice a day and see how much they consume in 2 minutes.
I fed them a bit less than half a cube of shrimps and there was a good amount left. So I will see how they eat tonight.

OP
OP
Dani305

Dani305

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skimmer helps but it is only part of the equation. Skimmer's remove the organic matter prior to break down..but once it is broken down, the nitrates are in the water and you are stuck with either chemical filtration, natural filtration (Algae) or water changes.
Ah sorry, I’m new to the terminology! Currently now doing water changes as fuge system will be next week.

I’m going to test my water today at LFS and see what they recommend.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah sorry, I’m new to the terminology! Currently now doing water changes as fuge system will be next week.

I would recommend buying your own test kits if you don’t have them already. Alkalinity, calcium, nitrate and phosphate for sure and magnesium would be good to. Good brands are Hanna, Red Sea and salifert.

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Outstanding. Fuge and macro algae (or a algae reactor) are outstanding and awesome things for people to get good at. The one caution i will give you is that sometimes they are TOO efficient and will strip out all of your nutrients. I had this and my nitrates and phosphates plummeted to zero. In freshwater systems..that is a GREAT thing. In Saltwater, it is BAD as the Dinos take over. The scourge of salt water aquariums!!

OP
OP
Dani305

Dani305

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the snails will consume the algae that grows from feeding, so don't worry about those unless no algae is growing. the general rule of thumb is to feed as much as the fish can consume within 2 minutes. every tank is different, so you have to play around with your amounts. judging by your stock list i would say 1/2 cube a day should be fine, alongside the fish pellets.
No algae yet!

I would recommend buying your own test kits if you don’t have them already. Alkalinity, calcium, nitrate and phosphate for sure and magnesium would be good to. Good brands are Hanna, Red Sea and salifert.
I have an API kit, two actually.
One saltwater master test kit.

Last night I tested water and was :

ammonia .25 ppm
Nitrite .25 ppm
Nitrate 5.0 ppm

I also have a reef master kit.

I’m going to test now.

OP
OP
Dani305

Dani305

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Outstanding. Fuge and macro algae (or a algae reactor) are outstanding and awesome things for people to get good at. The one caution i will give you is that sometimes they are TOO efficient and will strip out all of your nutrients. I had this and my nitrates and phosphates plummeted to zero. In freshwater systems..that is a GREAT thing. In Saltwater, it is BAD as the Dinos take over. The scourge of salt water aquariums!!
Will that mean I have to dose? Or maybe just keep the algae in the fuge small so it works hard?

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will that mean I have to dose? Or maybe just keep the algae in the fuge small so it works hard?
It could..or feed more. I personally dose a Nitrate / Phosphate solution throughout the day because my system has a VERY efficient nutrient export system. Ultimately it comes down to personal preference. I like the control that I have with stripping clean and dosing back. I have my Nitrate and Phosphate pegged better than my Ca and Alk because of this method.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
twice - 3 times a day is usually more than sufficient and they should be fed what can be consumed within 5 min s without evidence of food particle floating aaround tank or making it to the overflow

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No algae yet!

I have an API kit, two actually.
One saltwater master test kit.

Last night I tested water and was :

ammonia .25 ppm
Nitrite .25 ppm
Nitrate 5.0 ppm

I also have a reef master kit.

I’m going to test now.
Just be prepared for some public shaming and tsk tsk'ing on this. Bunch of reefer snobs here that scoff at API test kits!! I personally think they are fine for nitrate and phosphate (And even the other parameters for that matter if you are not a number's chaser) but some people here get REALLY fanatical about precision number testing. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!

Embarrassed Shame GIF

OP
OP
Dani305

Dani305

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could..or feed more. I personally dose a Nitrate / Phosphate solution throughout the day because my system has a VERY efficient nutrient export system. Ultimately it comes down to personal preference. I like the control that I have with stripping clean and dosing back. I have my Nitrate and Phosphate pegged better than my Ca and Alk because of this method.

cool! I prefer a type of tank that becomes its own eco system without ( hopefully ) too much of my help. Of course now since I am just beginning we are doing everything. That’s my tank goal!

Guess I’ll be feeding more! LOL

Just be prepared for some public shaming and tsk tsk'ing on this. Bunch of reefer snobs here that scoff at API test kits!! I personally think they are fine for nitrate and phosphate (And even the other parameters for that matter if you are not a number's chaser) but some people here get REALLY fanatical about precision number testing. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!

Embarrassed Shame GIF

lol. Funny how the API is good for freshwater. I have these two kits now so I will use them up then purchase better as I continue in the hobby.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dani305

Dani305

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going to update my build thread but today’s test results from API reef master kit:

Kh - 7 drops- 7 dkh/ 125.3 ppm
Phosphate- 0 ppm
Calcium- 20 drops- 400 ppm

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back