OP
J

JackPinny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are these both palys too ?

CF32023B-2580-49C2-B814-A4063D2C07D7.png 464014D3-09A7-4AD3-ACC6-E592BCE755AD.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

JackPinny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is your experience in corals?
When I started I only bought these to build confidence.
Don't start high and see them die. This is why ppl leave.
Start small, gain experience.
I mean I have two frags of zoas, neon green
tree Xenia and moon coral and a nem but I would say I’m fairly new still

ssdawood

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
All you gotta do is take some over-saturated pics and link it to a celebrity coral farm and bam! Now you've gone from a $5 frag to a $65 frag, at least for the people who thought these were ugly. lol, Oh, and don't forget the fake discount where you double the price, then cut it in half so you can claim 50% off... haha.

But seriously, these are good filler colonies for reefers who haven't yet become elitists like half the people on this forum. I still have a big rock covered with something that looks identical. I have $400 frags too. Too many people on here are just trying to show off and prove something to themselves despite the value we place on these frags being TOTALLY subjective. Plenty of people would be happy with them. Don't let them TAS on your parade. The only reason they said that was to steal a little bit of joy from you. YOU decide what kinda reef you want, and if you can pick 'em up for cheap because somebody is too biased to appreciate them, good on you, AND good on the corals. They need homes too!

dragons den sale GIF by CBC
It does happen
But there are some vendors who do photoshop but not misrepresent.
Don't pool all vendors in one area.
Some try to show what coral will look like in 20k light with minimal photoshop.

If you have cash buy that paly from TSA.
When it arrives let it get accustomed to your tank and take a pic amd post.

I am willing to bet that paly in your tank will look 80 percent or more than your low skills pic.
Or I pay for that paly and shipping. If you don't trust I will setup escrow.

I don't work for TSA. Not saying they don't saturate either. Bit nothing extreme like you said.
That paly is coming to me in a week.
I don't have it or else I would post pics.

I am not being rude. Trying to get you to see how it's wrong to issue blanket statement about vendor misrepresenting.
Some do, not all.
Unless TSA sold you a misrepsented one.
Bring it to my attention ans I won't spend money with them. I don't like vendors who misrepresent.

Hold on, let me show you one zoa I got last week.

WirelessMike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are palythoa, not zoanthids. A more common name for them is texas trash palys. They are not particularly valuable, but they are very invasive and also contain palytoxin so I would recommend being very careful if you plan on fragging them. You might get a decent price for the entire colony (maybe $50), but most people wouldn't pay much for a frag of those ($5-10 for a decent sized frag at best).
Don’t do it! I put some of these in my tank when do first started. Regretted until I redid the tank. They grow like weeds. Do not glow or react to lights and will take over all of your rock work and snuff out other coral. Do yourself a favor and walk away from them!

ssdawood

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Here are my low skilled pic
First 2 are one flash light only

Second is orange filter and flash light.
Under 2 reefbrite. I just turned them on at 5am. Surprised they are open.
I had to drop kid to school. No I wasn't photoshopping. Lol
Check out these pics.
Bad ones are mine
Screenshot_20221104-063933_Chrome.jpg
20221104_061756.jpg

No filter on pic above. Just torch for light.

The next pics are with reg torch and orange filter.
That micromussa is also from TSA. Check those colors too.
20221104_062209.jpg
20221104_062458.jpg

ssdawood

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
TSA pics
Screenshot_20221104-063933_Chrome.jpg

I was surprised to see sparkles in real life. When I ordered I thought those were definitely saturated.

Acan one pic Mr fox amd other is from R2R
Yes my colors are not impressive but that frag tank is setup 40 days ago so stability is still shaky.
But I would give thhse vendor pics an A
They are close to real thing

Amd of someone says they got bad stuff from TSA I will apologize.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221104-080114_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20221104-080114_Chrome.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 17
  • Screenshot_20221104-080412_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20221104-080412_Chrome.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 21

fishgirljockey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Common paly and to me zero- They are worse than weeds in the garden. If it is a Must purchase- Maybe $10 or a 6 pack of beer
They're really pretty tho!! If you have them on an island, they won't take over. There is some really bad butt ones! They are one of my favorite corals! I just ordered these from Reef Lounge. When they do get more of a colony, I cut some of them and place them in random areas of my rock all over. They really don't take over, some of them stop if they are next to a more aggressive coral so I've never had that problem of them taking over. I have a nice island of them and then random spots with a few of them sticking out. Looks awesome

Screen Shot 2022-12-05 at 11.29.03 AM.png Screen Shot 2022-12-05 at 11.30.44 AM.png stock-6814.jpg Screen Shot 2022-12-05 at 11.29.44 AM.png Screen Shot 2022-12-05 at 11.30.44 AM.png

Jeff-Ft-Lauderdale

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think most or all coral is pretty =)
I do too. I'm relatively new to the hobby (less than a year), but this hobby has some really bougie cliques in it.

To me the value is "How much does this make me feel like the ocean? How objectively pretty is it?"

A lot of people seem to assign aesthetic value to the rarity. I've seen some very rare stuff that is ugly AF to me. GSP is still my favorite coral. It is objectively beautiful. Bold colors, and lots of movement. It looks like grass from a fantasy painting. But because it's so common and easy, a lot of people treat it like it's garbage.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 27.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 36.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 26 29.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back