How much are you feeding your fish? Are we feeding too much?

Roggio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seven large tangs, two 3.5 foot Zebra Moray's, a blue spot jaw fish, various gobies, wrasse, and other small fish.

My tank is fed a variety of Mysis, reef frenzy, Nori and shrimp from Costco, BRS Chili, cyclops, live phytoplaykton, and New Life Spectrum Flakes (I've had a lot of success with these flakes and highly recommend them)
I try and feed mysis because from my research it helps their slime coats and overall health. I use Selcom and garlic concentrate as well. From my experience it's better to feed several times a day.

My fish look like they're dying of hunger no matter how much I feed. My Moray Eels go and hide in the rock for a day or two based on how big the shrimp I give them is so they're easier to gauge. I've always had issues with nitrates and have only gotten them under control using vodka. Now that my new system has some age I'm down to only using 14ml a day on a 600 gallon system.

How are you guys gauging how much to feed? I guess if you have nutrients under control it's hard to overfeed.

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe you should feed your fish a lot assuming your not overcrowding and your protein skimmer and bacteria can handle the bio load naturally. I recently reduced my feeding from 3 times per day to 1 per day with LRS reef frenzy because I believe my overfeeding was causing cyano and bacteria smell in my house. I started overfeeding since my nutrients where too low but found I was just skimming way too wet and found its easier to measure phosphates and adjust your nutrient important aswell as protein skimmer export.

My 3 yellow tangs came in at 1.5' and now 7 months later they are close to 3" and constantly eating so I don't think any amount of food can satisfy them! Imagine swimming all day you'd always be hungry too:D

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's good to feed and well.fed fish show it in colors and growth. My limit is raising the nutrients levels. A good skimmer is key and carbon dosing helps boost it's performance. Water changes are your friend and GFO helps as well as long as ur water changes abd skimmer can handle nitrates. An ICP test every few months helpsncheck what other nastiest are accumulating from feeding and impurities in dosing as well.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.7%
Back