How much Auto water change is enough?

Paul Thomas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What would you consider to be the min amount of water to change out on a daily basis in 200 Gal system if automating?

OP
OP
Paul Thomas

Paul Thomas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am only doing 1 gal per day now. Until I have time to route the waste water I have to empty 5 gal buckets every week. Was winding if its a waste of time at this rate?

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am only doing 1 gal per day now. Until I have time to route the waste water I have to empty 5 gal buckets every week. Was winding if its a waste of time at this rate?
1 gallon a day equals 7 a week and 14 every two weeks. So at that you are doing 7% water changes every other week or 14% a month. It is kinda low for what it’s worth but something is better then nothing :)

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m pretty sure most do at least 10% a week so 20% every other week

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1% per day is a good starting point.

DiefsReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do 2 gallons over night in a 120 + sump. Figure about 150 system volume
Was researching AWC and had this exact question myself. Just so happens I have the same setup, 120 with sump aprox 150 volume. So at 10% a week we end up about 60 gal per month.. Cool! Hope this doesnt hijack the thread but the only other question I have is where to put the water in and out lines? Was thinking water out at sump skimmer area, and in at the sump return pump section.

HeyLookItsCaps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was researching AWC and had this exact question myself. Just so happens I have the same setup, 120 with sump aprox 150 volume. So at 10% a week we end up about 60 gal per month.. Cool! Hope this doesnt hijack the thread but the only other question I have is where to put the water in and out lines? Was thinking water out at sump skimmer area, and in at the sump return pump section.
I ran hard r/o style line 90 QDs into a suction cup with the 1/4 line holder. My out is next to my skimmer in chamber one and my in is between the baffles after fuge/into return. I saw it as “the dirtiest water would be right before skimmer and the new water is sent directly to display”, I can take some pics if you need help!

HeyLookItsCaps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also the reason I chose roughly 2 gal a night (it’s actually 8000ml) is it ends up being a 55 gallon barrel a month, so every month on the same day I do a new barrels worth of mix along with my other duties. I have gotten my maintenance schedule down to 1 big long day a month haha

DiefsReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran hard r/o style line 90 QDs into a suction cup with the 1/4 line holder. My out is next to my skimmer in chamber one and my in is between the baffles after fuge/into return. I saw it as “the dirtiest water would be right before skimmer and the new water is sent directly to display”, I can take some pics if you need help!

Also the reason I chose roughly 2 gal a night (it’s actually 8000ml) is it ends up being a 55 gallon barrel a month, so every month on the same day I do a new barrels worth of mix along with my other duties. I have gotten my maintenance schedule down to 1 big long day a month haha

Thx for the response! No need for pics. This was what I had in mind and seems most people are doing basically the same. I've got 2 tanks I'm going to setup awc on. 1 is a 120 with sump and the other is a RS Emax cube with sump at about 70gal total volume. I've got a hugh mixing station in my basement and always just make a box (160gal) of water at a time. At this point maint seems never ending, hence the reason for awc :)

biecacka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to do 2 gallons a day on my 240. I recently moved and just set my AWC back up for 1 gallon a day. For now the load is so light it doesn’t matter much. Plus, I am curious down the road if I will even notice much difference. Between a fuge of chaeto, skimmer, CaRx, filter socks, and carbon as wanted/needed I feel like before I had great nutrient export. Just seeing how much my numbers will be different from 2 to 1 gallon a day. If it’s needed, I’ll up it, if not then I’ll keep it and use less salt. :oops:

corey

HeyLookItsCaps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to do 2 gallons a day on my 240. I recently moved and just set my AWC back up for 1 gallon a day. For now the load is so light it doesn’t matter much. Plus, I am curious down the road if I will even notice much difference. Between a fuge of chaeto, skimmer, CaRx, filter socks, and carbon as wanted/needed I feel like before I had great nutrient export. Just seeing how much my numbers will be different from 2 to 1 gallon a day. If it’s needed, I’ll up it, if not then I’ll keep it and use less salt. :oops:

corey
I was actually considering the same. I left my AWC/dosing pumps off for my wedding a few weeks back and left em that way til I got home a week later. No change really.. I’m probably just throwing cash down the RO filter but let me know if you see any difference!

OP
OP
Paul Thomas

Paul Thomas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for all the good input. Ivd up'd to 2 gal per day for now. I going to route my exhaust line so I don't have to empty soon then I'll up it to 3 gal per day. I also do a large water change so I can clean sand every 2 -3 months.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 9 24.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 31 83.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 18.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • Other

Votes: 2 5.4%
Back