How much can I raise my alk in one day?

Jakepen

Few beers and I'll frag anything...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm trying to get my alk up. Currently I'm dosing kalk in my ATO, but I haven't figured it how much I need yet. My alk is still dropping about 1.5 per day. Can I dose 2dkh? I'm just using baking soda, dissolved in RODI.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe the general rule is 1 dkh per day.

choff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, you can dose 2dkh/day if you are consuming 1.5 dkh. Obviously don't dose it all at once. The smaller increments over a longer time is ideal.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if I dose 1dkh per day, and my tank consumes 1dkh per day; how do I ever raise it?

You can dose all that you tank needs in a day, although if you have a huge need, it may be best to spread it out. That might be 0.1, 1, 2, or 5 dKH per day.

The idea is the average level shouldn't be rising more than 1 dKH per day (or whatever level folks are thinking is best). :)

OP
OP
Jakepen

Jakepen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can dose all that you tank needs in a day, although if you have a huge need, it may be best to spread it out. That might be 0.1, 1, 2, or 5 dKH per day.

The idea is the average level shouldn't be rising more than 1 dKH per day (or whatever level folks are thinking is best). :)
I got ya, thank you. While you're here, I'm dosing kalk in my tank, yet can't keep my numbers (alk) stable. Right now I'm at 4 tsp dissolved in a 5 gallon bucket, which is my ATO. Do I just keep upping the amount until I find the right amount to keep my numbers stable?

OP
OP
Jakepen

Jakepen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm having trouble maintaining stable alkalinity, I had 6 teaspoons of Kalk in a 5 gallon bucket which is my ATO. Even with that amount, my 30 gallon was still consuming about 1.5 DKH per day. So I added another two teaspoons, and I monitored my pH level while it was dosing. My pH level jumped up about .11, which I'm sure can't be good. So what do I do, if 6 teaspoons is not enough to maintain alkalinity should I stick with 8 teaspoons then monitor my alk?

Drauka99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
at some point you will need to start supplementing Kalk with 2 part or move to a calcium reactor. 2tsp per gallon is the max saturation if I recall correctly, you can get 1 more tsp per gallon to dissolve with the addition of vinegar for a total of 3 tsp per gallon but that is a whole nother can of worms.

Are you using a apex or reefkeeper to control your ATO? I ask because several people use the code avalibility of the apex to control how long thier ato pump can be on each hour, this can keep the ph swing up more manageable when using kalk and limits the possibility of the ato sticking open and dumping a bunch of kalk water into the tank all at once.

You should be able to meet the needs of 1.5dkh per day with kalk though. Fully saturated at 2tsp per gallon I get that you would need 0.39 gallons of top off each day to reach that goal.

You can simply keep dissolving a little more per gallon into your top off refill each week till you reach stability and just adjust with 2 part till you reach it.

OP
OP
Jakepen

Jakepen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
at some point you will need to start supplementing Kalk with 2 part or move to a calcium reactor. 2tsp per gallon is the max saturation if I recall correctly, you can get 1 more tsp per gallon to dissolve with the addition of vinegar for a total of 3 tsp per gallon

Are you using a apex or reefkeeper to control your ATO? I ask because several people use the code avalibility of the apex to control how long thier ato pump can be on each hour, this can keep the ph swing up more manageable.

You should be able to meet the needs of 1.5dkh per day with kalk though. Fully saturated at 2tsp per gallon I get that you would need 0.39 gallons of top off each day to reach that goal.

You can simply keep dissolving a little more per gallon into your top off refill each week till you reach stability and just adjust with 2 part till you reach it.

No, just the Tunze 3155. Is that large of a ph swing bad?

Drauka99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
seems like I remember .1 ph jump as the acceptable number from my reading. Hopefully others will chime in and correct me if I am wrong

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm having trouble maintaining stable alkalinity, I had 6 teaspoons of Kalk in a 5 gallon bucket which is my ATO. Even with that amount, my 30 gallon was still consuming about 1.5 DKH per day. So I added another two teaspoons, and I monitored my pH level while it was dosing. My pH level jumped up about .11, which I'm sure can't be good. So what do I do, if 6 teaspoons is not enough to maintain alkalinity should I stick with 8 teaspoons then monitor my alk?

How high is the pH peak? It usually is beneficial, IMO, to raise pH, as long as it does not get above 8.55 or so. :)

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got ya, thank you. While you're here, I'm dosing kalk in my tank, yet can't keep my numbers (alk) stable. Right now I'm at 4 tsp dissolved in a 5 gallon bucket, which is my ATO. Do I just keep upping the amount until I find the right amount to keep my numbers stable?

I would, until you hit 2 tsp per gallon which is about the solubility limit. Beyond that you'll need other methods. :)

OP
OP
Jakepen

Jakepen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would, until you hit 2 tsp per gallon which is about the solubility limit. Beyond that you'll need other methods. :)
Alright, I'll stick with it. Getting tired of testing alk almost daily ha. Would you suggest not running a co2 scrubber than? My ph stays around 8.3, and if I have a increase of .1 or .15, is that getting to close to a dangerous number? I mean it does only last a minute I suppose.

OP
OP
Jakepen

Jakepen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
seems like I remember .1 ph jump as the acceptable number from my reading. Hopefully others will chime in and correct me if I am wrong
Thank you for your advice, I appreciate the help.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, I'll stick with it. Getting tired of testing alk almost daily ha. Would you suggest not running a co2 scrubber than? My ph stays around 8.3, and if I have a increase of .1 or .15, is that getting to close to a dangerous number? I mean it does only last a minute I suppose.

I wouldn't waste money on scrubber media if the pH is 8.1 or above. :)

The momentary rise is not a concern.

OP
OP
Jakepen

Jakepen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well my alk has dropped 1.5 dkh in 24 hours, with 8 teaspoons of kalk dissolved in my reservoir. It's a thirty gallon, stocked with about 20 lps coral. Am I doing something wrong? I thought kalk would be so simple. Should I just go to 10 teaspoons, and see what that does?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well my alk has dropped 1.5 dkh in 24 hours, with 8 teaspoons of kalk dissolved in my reservoir. It's a thirty gallon, stocked with about 20 lps coral. Am I doing something wrong? I thought kalk would be so simple. Should I just go to 10 teaspoons, and see what that does?

It all depends on how much water was added.

How big is your reservoir?

FWIW, limewater was all I used for 20 years. :)

Bunkinator

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what is is your tank? once you figure out you daily demand my testing alk daily. you can determine what to add to raise it slowly over time. If you are keeping SPS corals its going to be difficult yo get the amount of alk and cal you need using only KALK in your ATO. might need to Drip it daily, or better yet set up a dosing pump and use BRS 2 part or ESV B ionic 2 part. again depends on what you are keeping and demand. with SPS demand increases almost daily...

Bunkinator

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how big is the reservoir, you can only dilute 1 TSP of kalk per gallon...on ro/di

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 40.9%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 39 35.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back