How much does a reef aquarium cost?

Rickster1334

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Money is not a problem
I’m in the planning stage , 160gallon with sump , all the pumps and power heads etc my budget is 10k on that. Add salt mixing station and quarantine tanks add another 500. Then comes fish, corals , invertebrates cost on those is totally what you want to watch in tank

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1) Take out a piece of paper

2) Write the number of most amount of money you'll ever want to spend

3) Now move the decimal point to the right one digit

4) Now you have about what you'll spend in the next 5 years

Trailer Park Boys Cats GIF

Rmfgator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I literally know nothing about reefs in fact I don’t even know why am on this forum? But I do know I have always wanted a beautiful coral reef in my bedroom maybe about 6‘ x 2‘? What does something like that cost around? And do I have to have somebody come maintain it all the time? I really don’t want that but once in a while is OK
just upgraded my tank to a waterbox marine x110 (4x2) I'm close to $5000 with good equipment, not including fish and some equipment from my old tank! who ever said $10k is about right! LOL!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
SET. A . BUDGET !!!
At least I do. here is Mine:

costs.jpg

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
~$12K is a reasonable low end amount for the first year but keep in mind it doesn't matter how much money you throw at it or if you take care of it or someone else does it still takes time and patience.

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me put it this way:

Me: Hm, ok, let’s setup a budget saltwater nano tank

Also me: ends up blowing $1.3k in the first few months

—-

Let’s just say... it’s as expensive as you make it!

If you get the best equipment out there (and I’m not talking about super expensive stuff that’s not worth the money, no. I’m talking about quality equipment. Though it may be expensive, it is well worth it in the long run) then it will be expensive.

If you end up getting into coral (like I did, lol), it will be expensive.

rusty hannon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I literally know nothing about reefs in fact I don’t even know why am on this forum? But I do know I have always wanted a beautiful coral reef in my bedroom maybe about 6‘ x 2‘? What does something like that cost around? And do I have to have somebody come maintain it all the time? I really don’t want that but once in a while is OK
I read your q and so not influenced by what others say I'm going to give my opinion as a longtime reefer that's always broke. A reef will cost everything u have n more- if you want it to- its a long term commitment that if you can afford someone to care fore it will become a close friend as he/ she will always b there. I don't really think I've heard of a reefer that's bought their " last" coral. That I believe is a rumor. So n essence you're never done unless you go bigger different or have to take a break for some reason. But you will never find a more rewarding, diversified satisfying lifestyle(hobby) or one w constantly , great people. In simple terms , a small reef starting--- 1500 n then up. Med. --- 5000 then up , large---- omg then up. Really hope you'll join us n happy reefing

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
every reef tank I've had I've always had I've always said I could have bought a used car with the money. I'm sure that some peeps with larger tanks can probably buy a new car with the money invested into their tanks. Its unbeleivable how much money we invest in glass boxes filled with water

N.Sreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first 75gal costed me 17000 before I was happy enough with the stocking to slow down on new additions. Then I had a seam break while at work and lost most of that invested money so I'm currently working on a 72 x 19.5 x 24 inches (LxWxH). I'm only 3g in but I currently have a pretty empty tank. Budget friendly Ill likely end up 20000 in by the time I'm happy with this tank.. And then Ill want to upgrade again. Paying for staff to do the maintenance for you would likely add up to quite alot of $$ over time. The money might be better spent on automation if you want to be hands off.

flashsmith

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The start up costs are extremely high IMO. There's always something you need to get. Fish only and it can be reasonable but add corals in the mix that's where the rabbit hole effect comes in. I used to think my whiskey addiction was expensive until I decided to take up reefing again. The thing I think is overlooked is the constant ongoing maintenance and the associated cost. If you're not willing to put in the time you will lose alot of money in livestock. Just look at the forums here and it's pretty easy to see that more often then not when a tank has a meltdown it's usually due to neglect of some kind. Like any hobby though don't expect a return on anything you put into it other than enjoyment.

Last edited:

ectoaesthetics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It can really vary. Anywhere from $3,000 on up to well over $10k, even more.

My 180g is the size you mention, and I'm not even sure what the total was. I would have to estimate it was around $8k, and that's probably somewhat midgrade, and that's just the tank. Never done the math, let me see quick.

I bought a prostar 230. So that was tank, stand, sump and plumbing done. I paid $2700, today they sell for over $4k.

3 Kessil a360we. I got them on sale for $300 each, normally about $350. So $900. Also another $237 for 3 mounting arms, and another $60 for the 90degree piece. So basically, $1200 for lighting.

For powerheads, I only have 2, many people get more. But I picked up 2 MP40's. $350 each, $700 for powerheads.

Protein Skimmer, $350 for the one I have.

Refugium light: Another kessil light, $240. I already had a cheaper mounting arm, but I think they are like $45. So $300ish.

Return Pump: I went cheap here and got a Jabeo pump. $90.

Kessil Light Controller: I already had, but $100.
2 300w heaters: $50
InkBird: $35
UV pump: $60
UV Light: $250
Live Rock: I have negative space aquaspace, and only used 100lbs. I bought the cheapest, so $350.
Marco Cement + instaset + superglue: $90.
Salt - $60
RODI Unit from BRS: $350
Sand: $120

So, I think that's the equipment on the tank. That comes out to $6,805 in equipment.

Then there is all the fish. For me this was very expensive due to losing almost all of them once to velvet. Probably about $900 I spent total in fish.

$7,705.

When it comes to buying coral, I only buy coral on sale and I buy the cheaper ones. I spent about $600 on corals, but that's the really low end. I already had a bunch of coral already as well.

$8305

As mentioned, I had a bunch of fish die. So I had to buy a bunch of stuff for quarantine. Fish medications, multiple tanks, filters, air stones etc. I'd estimate that was about $400.

$8705

And then you need testing stuff. I have 4 hanna tests, lets say $50 each. Then I have some salifert tests, probably $100 total. So $300 for tests, but I already had some of them.

$9005

I'm probably forgetting something, but yeah about $9k. I am very pleased with the end result, but I had no plans to spend that much when I started.

Oh yeah, dosing pumps, dosing containers, etc. Probably $100. Then there is the dosing solutions, power strips, $200. Clean up crew, $200,

And then if you want to use an apex and things like that, you're adding $1500. Maybe someday I will have one, not today.

Take whatever your budget is, and cut it in half when you plan, you'll likely spent the full budget that way. Or find what you want, and double the price.
Wow that was the bravest thread I’ve seen in a long time. I lack the cajones to add everything up!!! Really fun read!!

Back