How much Does macro algea help?

big man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im considering on buying macro algea for my tank. I've been looking oonline about how it's another natural filter for your tank . Cause I set up a new tank and the water has been cloudy ever since I added filter media. Im just wondering if I should buy some for my tank so it will clean up the the water more. Also can I just put it in my display tank or does it need to be in a refugium. Cause I have a red sea c max 260

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im considering on buying macro algea for my tank. I've been looking oonline about how it's another natural filter for your tank . Cause I set up a new tank and the water has been cloudy ever since I added filter media. Im just wondering if I should buy some for my tank so it will clean up the the water more. Also can I just put it in my display tank or does it need to be in a refugium. Cause I have a red sea c max 260
Macro algae is typically grown to reduce the nitrate level.

What filter medium did you add?

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Needs to be in a fuge with a light.

Also, seeing as you are new to reefing, i would get your husbandry routine dialed in with standard water changes and forego the macro algae unless your bioload and exporting needs require the use.

Slow and steady wins the race.

BRS has lots of videos for beginners. Easy to understand instructions.

Good luck!

OP
OP
B

big man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh I've had saltwater for about 2 years its just 2 months ago my main had a leak and so I had to movie it in a temporary 40 gall and in that 40 gal my pumps got clogged over night and almost every fish died except for 2. So I got a new tank. And restarted with brand new everything

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A lot and yes you can put it in the display but the lighting is different than the typical display and fish will probably snack on it especially the green ones! Here’s my macro tank.
0A53FAE2-B602-4682-8271-D1E90D6FFAFA.jpeg

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh I've had saltwater for about 2 years its just 2 months ago my main had a leak and so I had to movie it in a temporary 40 gall and in that 40 gal my pumps got clogged over night and almost every fish died except for 2. So I got a new tank. And restarted with brand new everything
I would still not put macro in a new display until the bioload required its use and its nutrient export needed to be beefed up.

AlgaeBarn

Marine Aquariums Made Easy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Do you know if the cloudiness is from a bacteria bloom or from not rinsing the media or sand being in the water column? -Raven

OP
OP
B

big man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you know if the cloudiness is from a bacteria bloom or from not rinsing the media or sand being in the water column? -Raven
I most likely believe it's the bacteria. Cause the algea grows back on the glass within 3 hours of cleaning it

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I most likely believe it's the bacteria. Cause the algea grows back on the glass within 3 hours of cleaning it
How old is the tank? Do you stir your sand? Parameters? What is your lighting schedule? Water source? And are you dosing? Important info…I know lots of questions.

OP
OP
B

big man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is the tank? Do you stir your sand? Parameters? What is your lighting schedule? Water source? And are you dosing? Important info…I know lots of questions.
The tank is about one month old and I know it's still new but it shouldn't be cloudy with filter media. Lights are redsea t5 I have 3 actinic. One pink/white two blue/whites.i keep the lights on for 12 hours. All I'm dosing now is magnesum so I can add my corals from my smaller tank

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 118 58.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.5%
Back