How much flatworms do 6 line wrasses eat?

apache2a

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm guessing the answer to this is going to be depends on the individual, but looking for a ballpark answer here.

I have too many little red flatworms. I started siphoning them off...and after the first time there was more the next day. I'm guessing they just came out in to the light. I'll keep siphoning them off twice a week.

The tank is a 220 gallon with a 65 gallon sump. It is fallow right now and will be for about 1 more month. I have a 6 line in quarantine/hospital. Will he even make a dent? I asked my friend and he said he'd eat about 1 flatworm a day. Pretty sure he was just being annoying and he scored.

Any idea on how effective they csn be is appreciated.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm guessing the answer to this is going to be depends on the individual, but looking for a ballpark answer here.

I have too many little red flatworms. I started siphoning them off...and after the first time there was more the next day. I'm guessing they just came out in to the light. I'll keep siphoning them off twice a week.

The tank is a 220 gallon with a 65 gallon sump. It is fallow right now and will be for about 1 more month. I have a 6 line in quarantine/hospital. Will he even make a dent? I asked my friend and he said he'd eat about 1 flatworm a day. Pretty sure he was just being annoying and he scored.

Any idea on how effective they csn be is appreciated.
I didn't have a huge infestation, but a couple years ago, I had a bunch of them in my refugium. I added a six line and never saw even one flatworm in my display...

ChiCity

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
34BE9426-719F-4EAD-986D-218F0A748A18.gif

OP
OP
apache2a

apache2a

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since there are no fish in your tank right now, flatworm exit might be worth trying... I know a lot of people use it with fish in the tank with no problem, but others report negative effects on livestock.
I've been going back and forth on it. The problem is that the toxins they release, snd there's a lot of them, are going to be tough on my corals. I'm hoping I can get the numbers down a bit with siphoning and then the wrasse can handle the rest.
I'm open to flatworm exit though if I need to

OP
OP
apache2a

apache2a

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
red planaria? Skip the six line and get a melenarus. They have been 100% reliable at eating red planaria for me over the past 15 years.
Too late. Haha. Someone gave him to me for free...but good to know! Thanks

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been going back and forth on it. The problem is that the toxins they release, snd there's a lot of them, are going to be tough on my corals. I'm hoping I can get the numbers down a bit with siphoning and then the wrasse can handle the rest.
I'm open to flatworm exit though if I need to
I'm not a fan of adding unnecessary chemicals, so I agree that being cautious is the best policy. I was not sure of the effect on coral.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 43.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 24 30.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back