How much flow am I losing?

BRS

HighChiefKC

View Badges
Reaction score
I don’t know why I done this, maybe because I didn’t want a 1.5” elbow showing in back of tank. But I have a Pentair UV that is 1.5” plumbing. I have it going from 1.5” down to 1”, then it goes thru 2 90 degree elbows before it gets to my neptune flow meter. How much flow am I losing going from 1.5” to 1” then thru 2 90s? Say I’m getting 700 gph currently at the flow meter. What would it be close to before the reduction?

just curious. May end up redoing plumbing. Seems like I’m losing a lot of flow. I have a vectra L2 turned up to 85% and I’m getting 800gph at the end of plumbing. There’s a few more elbows before the UV. But I’d have to find another union that fit the UV since it’s glued

Top Shelf Aquatics

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Your definitely losing flow that way. Is the uv inline with your drain or return plumbing? Ill take 2 45 degree elbows over one 90 any day. Or better yet I like to incorporate a bit of spa flex tubing here and there when I can

1guydude

View Badges
Reaction score
I dont think ur losing flow. The 1" can do 800gph. The flow wont decrease in 90s. Its pressured and than released.
This is my opinion and im not a plumber. Lol!
D

Imaexpat2

View Badges
Reaction score
I wouldnt worry about a little reduced flow as much as I would be worrying about does the water passing through the UV have enough dwell time to kill what ever is in the water before going back into my tank.

Top Shelf Aquatics

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Just to clarify, it’s an L2 pump that you’re getting a reading of 700 gph? Pump running at what %? Either way, Vectra performs quite poorly against back pressure. I’d guess that going from 1 1/2” to 1” is costing you quite a lot. If I had to guess I’d say around 500. Elbows aren’t helping.

Top Shelf Aquatics
BRS

BIG TANKS VERSUS SMALLER TANKS...WHICH DO YOU PREFER?

• BIGGER

Votes: 585 76.7%
  • smaller

Votes: 138 18.1%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 40 5.2%

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors
GTA Reef