How much flow am I losing?

HighChiefKC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know why I done this, maybe because I didn’t want a 1.5” elbow showing in back of tank. But I have a Pentair UV that is 1.5” plumbing. I have it going from 1.5” down to 1”, then it goes thru 2 90 degree elbows before it gets to my neptune flow meter. How much flow am I losing going from 1.5” to 1” then thru 2 90s? Say I’m getting 700 gph currently at the flow meter. What would it be close to before the reduction?

just curious. May end up redoing plumbing. Seems like I’m losing a lot of flow. I have a vectra L2 turned up to 85% and I’m getting 800gph at the end of plumbing. There’s a few more elbows before the UV. But I’d have to find another union that fit the UV since it’s glued

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your definitely losing flow that way. Is the uv inline with your drain or return plumbing? Ill take 2 45 degree elbows over one 90 any day. Or better yet I like to incorporate a bit of spa flex tubing here and there when I can

OP
OP
HighChiefKC

HighChiefKC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have it setup to its own dedicated L2 going over the back of the tank from the sump. So it’s inline with its own return. I have another L2 just for return

1guydude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont think ur losing flow. The 1" can do 800gph. The flow wont decrease in 90s. Its pressured and than released.
This is my opinion and im not a plumber. Lol!
D

Imaexpat2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldnt worry about a little reduced flow as much as I would be worrying about does the water passing through the UV have enough dwell time to kill what ever is in the water before going back into my tank.

OP
OP
HighChiefKC

HighChiefKC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldnt worry about a little reduced flow as much as I would be worrying about does the water passing through the UV have enough dwell time to kill what ever is in the water before going back into my tank.
I’m focusing on algae, and the recommended flow is around 950 gph

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to clarify, it’s an L2 pump that you’re getting a reading of 700 gph? Pump running at what %? Either way, Vectra performs quite poorly against back pressure. I’d guess that going from 1 1/2” to 1” is costing you quite a lot. If I had to guess I’d say around 500. Elbows aren’t helping.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 62 36.3%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back