How much flow are you running through your sump?

How much flow are you running through your sump?

• 5x

Votes: 184 46.8%
  • 10x

Votes: 148 37.7%
  • 15x

Votes: 30 7.6%
  • 20x

Votes: 31 7.9%

• Total voters

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most folks have their own pet theories about what constitutes optimal flow through the sump, the vast majority of which are neither based on any credible science nor reproducible from tank tank. That's all to say that it really doesn't matter. As long as you have enough flow to ensure even heating and adequate display surface skimming you're good. As soon an competent intank circulators made their appearance in the hobby, I went to much lower turnover numbers. My current tank holds 400 gallons nominally in the display and my main return pump nets 1,400 - so 3 1/2 times. I've yet to hear a cogent argument for higher flow; just seems like a waste of electricity.

Oh and for folks that still think it's important to match sump and skimmer flow - never heard a cogent argument for that either.

MartinWaite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you take a look at the Triton manual that has a recommendation of all water from the display tank goes into the refuge and then is skimmed in the second chamber, then through a bubble trap and into the return section.
The refuge should be 10% of the size of the display tank and the flow through the sump is a minimum 10x the system and then at least another 10x the system in the display tank from wavemakers giving a total of 20 x the system movement in the display. Hope that lot makes sense.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get that lots of people have lots of recommendations. It's not the 'what', rather the 'why'; and that's where the argument loses steam. Why does triton say 10x, versus 5x or 20x? I'm simply suggesting that it's anecdotal, or pseudo science at best.

MartinWaite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so here is my plan everything with true union ball valves except for the skimmer (gate valve and a true union) which is on a manifold with a capped end for future expansion
20170812_220857.jpg
here is what it will look like assembled hopefully
20170812_220511.jpg

And if all goes well here is my cut plan for a single 24" x 48" sheet of 0.22" acrylic with the cuts numbered for less mistakes :)
20170812_220542.jpg

This is a copy of the Triton sump plan and should have a 10x flow through the sump
page5image29848

I hope that the image has worked if not feel free to look in the files section of the Triton Facebook group for the guide to running Triton.
https://m.facebook.com/groups/729738600413073

rockskimmerflow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get that lots of people have lots of recommendations. It's not the 'what', rather the 'why'; and that's where the argument loses steam. Why does triton say 10x, versus 5x or 20x? I'm simply suggesting that it's anecdotal, or pseudo science at best.
Yep I agree. I've found it's more about matching your system needs than trying to hit a certain number because somebody said it's better or because that's the skimmers rated flow rate. I run some systems with about 10x turn over (which is the highest I'd ever go purely because I see it as wasted pump energy beyond that) and I also have a couple 300 gallon fish only tanks that literally rund 1x to 1.5x per hour turnover. And guess what I've never had an algae issue or ammonia issue in those tanks either. Using propeller type flow pumps is massively more efficient to generate consistent mixing within the main tank.

About 1x per hour is the bottom end I've comfortably tried through the sump on systems in the 250-400g range, but I have worked on larger public sized installs of the 3-5 thousand gallon size where turnover times through the LSS are not uncommonly on the order of .5 -. 75x per hour. It's all a matter of scale. I've found that the bigger the system, generally the lower the minimum threshold is for filter turnover.

OP
OP
G

George Lopez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can pods live going from the refugium through the skimmer?
They should be able to add long as Rhett don't get sucked up, but just in case I'm putting rubble rock after the skimmer. Plus it makes it easier for the macro to flow and for cleaning purposes. Currently i have rock in my fuge and it holds my macro when it gets too large and is a pain to clean out so new design = no rock in fuge.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please find the sump picture that did not work on my last post
IMG_2457.PNG

I've not run any if the triton stuff, but do they offer any explanations/logic as to why they recommend what they recommend? Or are you to take that they know what they're talking about on faith? Not trying to be difficult, I've just been in this hobby for many decades and seen too many 'next great things' come and go LOL. I always tend to assume 'emperors new clothes' with these things until proven otherwise.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 8.0%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 39 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 150 67.0%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.7%

Back