How much flow do anemones really need?

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

So I’m still looking at starting an anemone tank (likely BTAs) but I got to thinking, how much flow do anemones really need? I mean we always worry they will stuck in our powerheads/wave makers. Being they are soft bodied creatures, do they really need that much flow or just enough to wave the tentacles? Or could you potentially have a powerhead or wave maker free tank if you go anemone only? Just thinking outloud.

OP
OP
Reefing102

Reefing102

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea. I know they’ll move to where they’re happy, I was thinking of maybe cutting the headache down some. My LTA is in minimal flow and my BTA is sitting in front and to the side of a Neptune WAV at 50%. My pumps are protected was just thinking if pump free could work. Then again these are creatures of the ocean where flow is wild

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea. I know they’ll move to where they’re happy, I was thinking of maybe cutting the headache down some. My LTA is in minimal flow and my BTA is sitting in front and to the side of a Neptune WAV at 50%. My pumps are protected was just thinking if pump free could work. Then again these are creatures of the ocean where flow is wild
Depends on what size tank, and how you're turning water to it.

My RSR250 Stock returns leave a lot to be desired. Even with an additional $50 upgrade to the RFG option, I don't think there would be enough flow, directed appropriately in My tank. Ymmv obviously based on a lot of different factors.

terraincognita

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
idk if it's any help but mine tend to settle more into a spot where there's a constant moderate gentle flow, but have had some go where there's almost no flow and some where it's high flow.

Also, just realizing now I've seen almost every other coral or fish in their "natural habitat" but I haven't seen a bunch of photos of BTA's in "nature" lol. Anyone have some? I know most nems live in tidepools (which would suggest very high flow and then no flow for many hours lol) but i guess BTA's live out further normally from what I was reading.

OP
OP
Reefing102

Reefing102

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
idk if it's any help but mine tend to settle more into a spot where there's a constant moderate gentle flow, but have had some go where there's almost no flow and some where it's high flow.

Also, just realizing now I've seen almost every other coral or fish in their "natural habitat" but I haven't seen a bunch of photos of BTA's in "nature" lol. Anyone have some? I know most nems live in tidepools (which would suggest very high flow and then no flow for many hours lol) but i guess BTA's live out further normally from what I was reading.
Dang you’re right. Even a quick google search shows a bunch in a tank but not wild

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly ever nem settles somewhere differently but I think they enjoy higher flow, especially gyre type flow.

mindme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mine seem to enjoy(aka get much bigger) gentle lower flow. But they generally do well in all kinds of flow. Mine find a place where they like to put their foot and they'll stretch out wherever they want.

Back