How much flow for a 55gal

Erick Merfeld

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 25, 2015
Messages
141
Reaction score
5
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 55 gal tank. I'm new to this hobby and don't know if I have enough flow in my tank. How much flow should I have for a 55gal tank?

What power heads do you guys suggest?
 
Power heads on opposite sides of the tank. For a fish only tank, you only need 550gph of flow. That doubles if your planning on a reef, and it goes up from there, if going SPS.
 
I'm looking at Jebao pumps. I would like to have two in the tank. One on each side of the tank. What model or size would you suggest?
 
I'd go with either 2 500gph Hydors, or 2 240gph Hydors.
 
Two RW-8's is what you'll need to get the flow you need for your tank. 180-2100 gph. Perfect fit and those pumps are great. Ive used the rw4 and 8 and they havent let me down :rolleyes: @Erick Merfeld
 
Two rw 8 one on each side of the tank? Then just play with the programming to see what the fish n corals like?
 
Yeah, one on each side. Set them at 50%. I think that'll be the sweet spot for your tank. I use the second mode on my rw4. its like an alternating pulse setting. @Erick Merfeld
 
How much will this help my tank? Is flow an important aspect to how well the tank does? Sorry still kinda new at this.
 
Anything but the RW-4s. You can always dial back the larger pumps to your desired flow.
 
TBH, if you have the 55Gal Long which is narrow. A single Maxspect Gyre 130 can provide enough flow.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 13 52.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 8 32.0%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 12 48.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 7 28.0%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 4 16.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new