How much GPH for wavemaker based on number of gallons?

Schraufabagel

aka Schrauf_den
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been posting so many threads today, but I’m trying to really dial in my settings so my corals are happy.

I have an AI Nero 3 in my 25 gallon tank. Currently it’s set to ~1,100 GPH. This is for my mixed reef tank with SPS, LPS, and softies. Would you say this amount of flow is too much, just right, or too little?

shadow_k

I have a kickable face
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been posting so many threads today, but I’m trying to really dial in my settings so my corals are happy.

I have an AI Nero 3 in my 25 gallon tank. Currently it’s set to ~1,100 GPH. This is for my mixed reef tank with SPS, LPS, and softies. Would you say this amount of flow is too much, just right, or too little?
I have one in my 20 gallon set for 15-30% random flow I have softies and LPS. If your gonna do mixed reef you may need another power head for sps.

OP
OP
Schraufabagel

Schraufabagel

aka Schrauf_den
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one in my 20 gallon set for 15-30% random flow I have softies and LPS. If your gonna do mixed reef you may need another power head for sps.
I have it near the top of the tank. That is the only spot where any SPS is in my tank. Would it still be good to have another?

Tim McLellan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw on a video that you can do a calculation to determine this. Add up all your flow, and divide by the number of gallons in your system. It was claimed that a number around 40-50 is pretty good for LPS and SPS. At 1100 gph divided by 25 you are at 44 so I would think you're right on the money. Assuming the video I saw was correct, which it seemed to be.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 26 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back