How much is a Walt Disney worth?

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s 2 people at the LFS that want it. Another good customer and the saltwater manager there for her aquarium. If I sell to the guy who’s also looking for red planet and purple haze (which I happen to have) then I may snag quite a lot. But if it’s the saltwater manager I can probably do 200-250 directly to her privately, not the fish store itself.

So it’ll probably be a private transaction. Not a trade to the LFS itself as an entity. The minimum I’d like to sell for it is 200, that way id make a 50 dollar profit.

You would be lucky if any of that happened buddy. Things move very fast. This coral is in very low demand, and worth a fraction of what it was :(

IMHO, you overpaid. And are trying to get something out of it, when you'd be lucky to break even.

Give it a shot, maybe you'll get lucky, or maybe I don't have my finger on the pulse of small town shops.

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With 3 branches, I'd venture to say you might get $250 store credit at your LFS. They'll be able to easily frag it to 3 smaller frags. Also they'll know you'll be spending that $250 on things they've marked up 50-200%, and in reality they'll be "paying" much less.

marlinmon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
$400??!! This reminds me of the frag poachers in the seller forum flipping frags from other members from R2R or elsewhere.

OP
OP
AbnormalReefer

AbnormalReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tanks been up for a while, just I replaced some junk rock with new rock.

I am more than happy to keep the frag if I don’t get a good return value on it. It’s a cool coral regardless of whether it’s been saturated or not.

Last edited:

Michael Llabona

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see frags all the time for under $100 at lfs and hobbyist swaps. I'd say a large frag that's about 3 would go for $200 if fully encrusted. Also with all higher end coral. Proof of origin is a must. No proof, I wouldn't sell/ buy a WD at market price. I would sell for half of the market price. Similar to a pure bred dog with papers than with out

Guttersnipe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tanks been up for a while, just I replaced some junk rock with new rock.

I am more than happy to keep the frag if I don’t get a good return value on it. It’s a cool coral regardless of whether it’s been saturated or not.

I would keep that frag and grow it out.

DMG Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of Walt Disney shaming on this thread. ;Wideyed

I waited a year of keeping acros before I decided I was ready for a WD. And no one was giving them away for $50 in my area.

When you see a WD from BigR Corals, with all of the rainbow colors showing, you certainly don't feel like it's an overrated coral.

Just a different perspective from a WD lover. An acro collection isn't complete without this coral.

Jeremy Luke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's worth what someone is willing to pay you for it.

There's one LFS in my area that sells nice coral. They sell some nice acros including WD. Their WD mother colony is a really chunky, furry, colorful specimen. When they cut 3/4-1" frags, they still sell those frags for $150. I'd pay it if I didn't already have WD. I bought mine at reefstock a year ago and it's growing nicely. I paid $120 for the WD and an Oregon tort. My WD never has and most likely never will look as good as the WD at the LFS. They have a mother colony of orange passion that looks amazing. When they cut it next I'm told the frags sell for $125. I'll gladly give them my money for it.

Guttersnipe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I waited a year of keeping acros before I decided I was ready for a WD. And no one was giving them away for $50 in my area.

When you see a WD from BigR Corals, with all of the rainbow colors showing, you certainly don't feel like it's an overrated coral.

Just a different perspective from a WD lover. An acro collection isn't complete without this coral.

I love the Walt Disney Acro. I have two in my tank. I got them both from two very known and respected users on this forum. It is one of my favorite coral.
I don’t think op can get a lfs to pay that much for that frag. I paid $80 for each frag. The lfs have access to lots of corals. I don’t think they would pay op is asking for it.

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, I’m near King of Prussia. So a lot of great LFS nearby both small and big.
Nice, if your ever in state college my friend owns a shop there now, lots of high end acros and lots of nice stuff. Blue spring aquatics or corals is the name.

Philipgonzales3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I don't think anyone was shaming WD, just giving opinions on what they thought it was worth.

OP
OP
AbnormalReefer

AbnormalReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This LFS sells a 2 head green hammer for 169$..... The owner also hates the designer acros so as a result they never get them in even though customers ask for it all the time. Ill see what happens when they get back to me on Wednesday though.

jsvand5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d separate one of them and keep that one. Then sell the remainder. I don’t think it having 2 vs 3 tips is really going to change what you get for it very much at all.

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This LFS sells a 2 head green hammer for 169$..... The owner also hates the designer acros so as a result they never get them in even though customers ask for it all the time. Ill see what happens when they get back to me on Wednesday though.
That seems very over priced. Green hammers are usually around 60-80 for a 2/3 header. At least they are near me :rolleyes:

OP
OP
AbnormalReefer

AbnormalReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That seems very over priced. Green hammers are usually around 60-80 for a 2/3 header. At least they are near me :rolleyes:

Exactly! My hope is that if they can sell that much for a green hammer they’d sell pretty high for a Walt. But again, it’ll probably be a private transaction, not directly to the LFS itself.

Caption This Contest OFFICIAL VOTING POLL! (make a post in this thread and you could win a prize too)

• "What do you mean?! I am smiling!

• "Did she really just rejoin the ReefAholics Anonymous group...AGAIN?!"

• "Take a look at the new Sexy Shrimp!"

• "I'm funny how, I mean funny like I'm a clownfish? I amuse you?"

• "Looks like your living room is going through the ugly stage"

• "Aghhh! Go put on your makeup before feeding me, please!"

• "You try eating sand and not get constipated!"

• "Everyone, hide! The landlord is coming!"

• "He touched the butt!"

• "They forgot to shut off the RO line and left for work...AGAIN"

• "Get off my sand!"

• "What do you mean I can't say that on a family friendly forum?"

• "My face looking over my bank statement after a reef show..."

• "Kids, you're grounded! Get back in my mouth!"

• "When you see a human with a bucket and know somethings is about to go down."

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back