How much jerky?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I couldn't help myself and placed an order for a plank...

Can a few of you post how long 1 oz of jerky lasts you (and how often you feed it, tank size, fish, etc.).

How many of you mix the Jerky with other pellets or flake, etc.?

OP
OP
B

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Getting setup this weekend.

Saith

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought the Plank to feed anthias mulitple times during the day. Over the first 8 months I went from feeding 4 times a day for 15 seconds up to 5 times a day 45 seconds. Quite a bit of the food floats to the top and the anthias weren't getting as much food once I added more aggressive fish.

On June 22nd I started a new 1 oz container of Reef Jerky and have been keeping closer track of total run time so I can figure out what Reef Jerky subscription I would need. It looks like 1 oz will last me about 10 weeks.

Below is what I have in the tank and my current feeding schedule

Tank size:
72" x 24" x 26" (~160g)

Fish:
3 yellow assessors
3 dispar anthias
1 orchid dottyback
1 foxface
1 bristletooth tang
1 copperband butterfly

Plank Feeding Schedule:
6 times a day for 45 seconds each time

The tang, foxface and anthias seem to love the Reef Jerky. The assessors and dottyback look like they might be pecking at particles that float by, but they don't come out for it. The copperband doesn't seem to care about Reef Jerky, of course.

The first and last feedings of the day are paired with refrigerated mysis, about 30 seconds later. The idea is to spread the Reef Jerky around the tank so the tang and foxface are distracted and not near the feeding tube when the mysis comes out. Otherwise those two hog it all.

Oh, and I am mixing pellets in with the Reef Jerky. It was mainly to use them up. But they don't float, so I might buy more once they run out.

ctenophore

Avast Justin
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought the Plank to feed anthias mulitple times during the day. Over the first 8 months I went from feeding 4 times a day for 15 seconds up to 5 times a day 45 seconds. Quite a bit of the food floats to the top and the anthias weren't getting as much food once I added more aggressive fish.

On June 22nd I started a new 1 oz container of Reef Jerky and have been keeping closer track of total run time so I can figure out what Reef Jerky subscription I would need. It looks like 1 oz will last me about 10 weeks.

Below is what I have in the tank and my current feeding schedule

Tank size:
72" x 24" x 26" (~160g)

Fish:
3 yellow assessors
3 dispar anthias
1 orchid dottyback
1 foxface
1 bristletooth tang
1 copperband butterfly

Plank Feeding Schedule:
6 times a day for 45 seconds each time

The tang, foxface and anthias seem to love the Reef Jerky. The assessors and dottyback look like they might be pecking at particles that float by, but they don't come out for it. The copperband doesn't seem to care about Reef Jerky, of course.

The first and last feedings of the day are paired with refrigerated mysis, about 30 seconds later. The idea is to spread the Reef Jerky around the tank so the tang and foxface are distracted and not near the feeding tube when the mysis comes out. Otherwise those two hog it all.

Oh, and I am mixing pellets in with the Reef Jerky. It was mainly to use them up. But they don't float, so I might buy more once they run out.
Thank you for sharing these details. I am always interested in what others are feeding, how much, etc.

Re: floating food- have you tried tuning the swirl rate using the little grey valve cover on the bottom of the pump disk? Maybe slow it down just a bit and see if that helps. Others have reported delaying the mixing pump about 5 minutes after the keg dispenses food. I run mine 24/7, so I haven't tried this personally, but I can see how it would help.

The copperband may learn to eat the Jerky too. It takes them a while IME.

Salty_Northerner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a bait and click thread lol, I seen jerky and assumed it was beef jerky for heaven's sake! Got me all excited:)

Sorry had to post and going to follow as I've never heard of this before.

ctenophore

Avast Justin
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL Sorry to disappoint (package states: "While Reef Jerky looks delicious and smells wonderful, it is not for human consumption")
but I'm sure your fish will get excited for it :)

Saith

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for sharing these details. I am always interested in what others are feeding, how much, etc.

Re: floating food- have you tried tuning the swirl rate using the little grey valve cover on the bottom of the pump disk? Maybe slow it down just a bit and see if that helps. Others have reported delaying the mixing pump about 5 minutes after the keg dispenses food. I run mine 24/7, so I haven't tried this personally, but I can see how it would help.

The copperband may learn to eat the Jerky too. It takes them a while IME.
I'll open a new thread, don't want to derail this one. That would be great if the copperband starts eating Jerky!

Stevorino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Saith!

What refrigerated mysis are you using - do you and the fish still like it?

Saith

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Saith!

What refrigerated mysis are you using - do you and the fish still like it?
Hey Stevorino,

I was using the Reef Nutrition Mysis Feast. I was happy with it and all my fish still like it. Unfortunately they paused production. Now I'm back to plopping a frozen PE Mysis small grade cube in the Plank tube every morning and night. Hopefully the Mysis Feast is back on the market soon. I tried the Aquaforest Liquid Mysis and it was small bits of mysis, not full shrimp like the Mysis Feast. Most of my fished like it, but my copperband didn't go for it.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 86 76.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 13 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back