How much nitrate in fish food?

Rogergolf66

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok so like many established tanks my uptake of nutrients is high. I feed an insane amount of food my fish are very fat. I have hundreds of corals and no matter how much I feed I always have zero nitrates. Until recently zero po4 also.

I have been feeding so much to try and raise both. I thought about it any info on how much PO4 and nitrate is in fish food? I realize this will be different with all types of food . I feed all frozen foods. Mainly mysid and brine shrimp.

I am at the point to start dosing nitrate direct to the tank.

Roger

Oscaror

Back In It
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok so like many established tanks my uptake of nutrients is high. I feed an insane amount of food my fish are very fat. I have hundreds of corals and no matter how much I feed I always have zero nitrates. Until recently zero po4 also.

I have been feeding so much to try and raise both. I thought about it any info on how much PO4 and nitrate is in fish food? I realize this will be different with all types of food . I feed all frozen foods. Mainly mysid and brine shrimp.

I am at the point to start dosing nitrate direct to the tank.

Roger
Maybe dose phyto :rolleyes: Direct coral food and it'll boost nitrates at the same time

OP
OP
R

Rogergolf66

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe dose phyto :rolleyes: Direct coral food and it'll boost nitrates at the same time

Well are u saying that phyto have more nitrate then phosphate in it? I am looking to see if there are any studies or info on how much nitrate vs phosphate in our fish foods. If I can see how much is in the current food I use? I will go check the packages and see if that info is listed. I don’t think it is just ingredients. Then I want to compare other foods to start feeding with a food with much higher nitrate then phosphate. Someone out there must be an expert in fish foods.

Oscaror

Back In It
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well are u saying that phyto have more nitrate then phosphate in it? I am looking to see if there are any studies or info on how much nitrate vs phosphate in our fish foods. If I can see how much is in the current food I use? I will go check the packages and see if that info is listed. I don’t think it is just ingredients. Then I want to compare other foods to start feeding with a food with much higher nitrate then phosphate. Someone out there must be an expert in fish foods.
Hmm, I misinterpreted sorry. I thought you just wanted a way to boost nutrients, didn't realize you were looking for a balance in the food

OP
OP
R

Rogergolf66

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thx so much for posting this link. It was one I didn’t read yet. Even before reading I was very aware of that fact that phosphate is the number one source of phosphate in out tanks. It was an interesting read. But I guess my question wasn’t clear cause I assumed that everyone knew there is a lot of phosphate in our food we feed. My really question is I have been able to raise ny po4 by heavy feeding but my nitrates are still zero after years of heavy feeding.

My real question is there any info on how much nitrate if any is in our fish food we feed? I would like to try feeding a higher nitrate content food then what I currently feed as I don’t really want to dose liquid nitrogen to my tank.

I do understand the nitrogen cycle and how it works that ammonia turns to nitrite then to nitrate then to nitrogen gas to exit out tanks, but my system works to good at turning the nitrate into nitrogen gas and out of the water. To be honest I’m not really sure why my tank does this so well as I have no sand bed and a minamilistc rock structure in a tank with over 500 gal of water.

Yes I have a skimmer over sized and a large refugium well lit. So is the fuge removeing most of the nitrate or is the skimmer? Untimely I don’t really want to decrease there effectiveness. I would rather have a way to add more nitrogen to my feeding is my idea. Keeping the po4 levels in the food the same?

Coralreefer1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First of all pellet food contains more phosphates than flake.
As for the nitrates in fish foods, the higher the protein content the higher the nitrate level. Remember that any uneaten food will elevate nitrate levels in an aquarium. So will any organic matter that is decaying such as algae, waste, bio balls, substrate and exhausted filter media.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 110 80.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.4%
Back