How much of an impact does flow have on keeping your glass clean?

authentic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have two tanks on the same system,150 DT and 30 frag tank,,,less flow in the frag tank and I have to clean the glass more often. ,flow or something else? Frag is acrylic

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure about your situation but flow doesn't seem to matter in my tanks. I have 3 systems running and need to clean the glass on all 3 every other day and really should be every day but I'm a bit lazy. My reefer 300 is 36x24x24 inches and I have two MP40s, two mp10s, and two Nero 5 in there and still have to clean the glass as often as the other two.
Maybe lighting has something to do with it? I have quite a bit of lighting on all 3 tanks so I can't say what less would do.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I don't seem to see a difference with high flow or low flow on my front glass.
I have a pair of MP40's that I turn up the flow for a few days that pushes flow down the front of the tank, then back down. The film builds up pretty much the same.

JayM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've wondered the same thing.

I'm actually thinking about a little experiment now that my water parameters are really stable.

It takes about a month for the algae on my back glass to become really apparent that it's there.

My thought is to remove one of my return nozzles and replace it with a DIY "spray bar" that spans the length of the tank with a couple dozen holes drilled into it so that it pushes water top down across the rear glass, then see what the glass looks like in a month.

My guess is it won't help much, if at all, but if I can find some time I'll give it a go.

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find lighting affects the glass much more then flow. I always get a shorter light then tank length to reduce glass exposure and cleanings. And I will angle the lights in so front glass doesn't get as much light.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 64 74.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 12.8%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back