How much PAR for a nano 'nem tank?

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the process of getting an IM Nuvo 10g ready to be an anemone tank. My plan is to start with some sort of BTA, then add a few Rock Flowers. Inhabitants will be a pair of clowns and a CuC (snails, hermits, etc). The tank will be lit by a single AI Prime HD with a LuxEngine puck upgrade and a 3DReefing diffuser (same as I run on all my tanks).

That being said, I've been researching PAR requirements for BTAs, and I'm mostly seeing old information, and it's all over the place. I've seen everything from 100-450 PAR. What I'm looking for is a decent place to start. Obviously, I can adjust up and down once I get things in the tank and see how they do, but with the tank being so small, there won't be many places to "hide" from the light, so I want to make sure I start on the lower end so as not to fry everything. I have access to an Apogee MQ-510 PAR meter. I'd like to make the center of the tank the "sweet spot" for PAR... What should I aim for?

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
250 + is what seems to work for my Nems. A word of caution, BTA's and other nems have a better chance of survival in a more "seasoned" tank, generally.

Galasss

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the process of getting an IM Nuvo 10g ready to be an anemone tank. My plan is to start with some sort of BTA, then add a few Rock Flowers. Inhabitants will be a pair of clowns and a CuC (snails, hermits, etc). The tank will be lit by a single AI Prime HD with a LuxEngine puck upgrade and a 3DReefing diffuser (same as I run on all my tanks).

That being said, I've been researching PAR requirements for BTAs, and I'm mostly seeing old information, and it's all over the place. I've seen everything from 100-450 PAR. What I'm looking for is a decent place to start. Obviously, I can adjust up and down once I get things in the tank and see how they do, but with the tank being so small, there won't be many places to "hide" from the light, so I want to make sure I start on the lower end so as not to fry everything. I have access to an Apogee MQ-510 PAR meter. I'd like to make the center of the tank the "sweet spot" for PAR... What should I aim for?
Mine are happy in the 150-200 range, if you check out the 9 month video in my build thread you can see how happy they are. The nice things about nems is that it they don’t like something they’ll move or hide until a particular area meets their needs. In my opinion, as long as you have plenty rock work where the anemones can expose themselves to higher or lower par they’ll figure it out; that being said I think having a max of 300-350 par in the highest point of the tank should work out perfectly, good luck!

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can get way more par for way less money with a par 38 led from someone like rapid led (if they still make them, other companies still sell them on Amazon)
I am putting down well over 500 par at the surface of my water on this pico. They aren’t as clean looking and you need to find a fixture. But they will lay the light down.
F4FEC7EB-FCCF-4273-A3F2-EDEB342341F9.jpeg

All of that said, if you have the prime use it

OP
OP
Hooz

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
250 + is what seems to work for my Nems. A word of caution, BTA's and other nems have a better chance of survival in a more "seasoned" tank, generally.

I kept my first anemone in a tank back in 1992, so I'm familiar with their care. Back then it was halides and flourescents, then Power Compacts. I took a break from reefing for about 15 years and just started back into things a couple years ago. Everything has changed, especially lighting! :D

The tank is new but the rocks are all from established (1 year plus) tanks. I'm not at the point of adding a nem yet, but I'll be ready when I do.

Mine are happy in the 150-200 range, if you check out the 9 month video in my build thread you can see how happy they are. The nice things about nems is that it they don’t like something they’ll move or hide until a particular area meets their needs. In my opinion, as long as you have plenty rock work where the anemones can expose themselves to higher or lower par they’ll figure it out; that being said I think having a max of 300-350 par in the highest point of the tank should work out perfectly, good luck!

That's kind of what I was thinking, but the tank is small with decent rockwork, but not a ton. I was worried that there might not be a lot of room to escape and hide, so I wanted to try to hit the sweet spot out of the gate. I suppose I could always just start lower and work up if I see it stretching. I just wanted to get as close as I could to start.

You can get way more par for way less money with a par 38 led from someone like rapid led (if they still make them, other companies still sell them on Amazon)
I am putting down well over 500 par at the surface of my water on this pico. They aren’t as clean looking and you need to find a fixture. But they will lay the light down.
F4FEC7EB-FCCF-4273-A3F2-EDEB342341F9.jpeg

All of that said, if you have the prime use it

I have the Prime HD already and the Lux Engine puck is being made this weekend, so I'll have it soon as well. All my lights on all my tanks are the same (or will be when the puck gets here). I have 3 on my display tank, 2 on my frag tank and then the one for this tank. It keeps it easy. One app and one schedule (with varying intensities for different lights on different tanks) for everything! :D

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back