How much power does a reef tank use monthly?

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've started four builds over the past year: the RSM250, RSR350, an IM40, and an Evo 13. Or five, if you count the jar. The total average added cost to my electricity bill is about $100/month...but the increase can't be attributed merely to increased energy usage. Over 90% of my electricity and gas bills are made up of administrative fees that operate independently of actual product use. The increase in cost is therefore product + administrative rate exponential applied to the increase.

I once had a gas bill for $68, and only 58 cents was attributed to the actual cost of the product (this was in August). Insane!
Welcome to Alberta lol....gas rich and government wanting their cut... a big one.

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Alberta lol....gas rich and government wanting their cut... a big one.
It's the utilites' administrative fees, not those imposed at the local, provincial, or federal levels. I'll leave the discussion of whether or not there should be greater governmental oversight of administrative fees to the Lounge. :)

In any case, we installed a new high-efficiency furnace about eight years ago to replace one that had been in use since 1967. Our gas consumption was reduced by about two thirds, but our utility bill remained steady. I later heard a number of analysts state that, with modern equipment, efforts to save energy were best understood as aids to the environment, and not one's fiscal balance sheet.

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's the utilites' administrative fees, not those imposed at the local, provincial, or federal levels. I'll leave the discussion of whether or not there should be greater governmental oversight of administrative fees to the Lounge. :)

In any case, we installed a new high-efficiency furnace about eight years ago to replace one that had been in use since 1967. Our gas consumption was reduced by about two thirds, but our utility bill remained steady. I later heard a number of analysts state that, with modern equipment, efforts to save energy were best understood as aids to the environment, and not one's fiscal balance sheet.
Oh....those 'admin fees' are for a reason lol, one way or another, we know it! For the record I am no Con, Lib or anything else one likes to conjure up in their minds. But I do know a crook when I see one lol....ya best for lounge I guess....

scrappy35

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i run 14 tanks, all with heaters and lights. My bill went up about $40-$50 a month. My hot tub averages $50 to $70 depending on use. My fish room temp averages 74 and most of my tanks are 78-81.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Teenagers in the house, on an Electric Water Heater? The Electric Water Hester is my big energy user, with the Colder Water coming in during the Winter and longer showers, my bill goes through the roof. Of coarse my Wife likes to point to the aquarium.

Kfactor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends. Led very little t5 and halides lots. Small tank little 2000g tank w/T5 lots
i disagree with this it depends how many led you need to cover a tank . you will need less fixures with mh

Nemo&Friends

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have solar power, and only pay an electric bill from December to Beginning of March. It could be free all year, but the Electric company (Duke Energy) resets the credit every first of June, and wipes out the credit accumulated in April and May.
Still I save around $1500 per year, since I installed my solar pannels. I do have an electric/hybrid car and I did not factored in gas money saved.
Charge is 11 cents KWH, but they announced a increase this year.
More saving coming up for me.

Oregon Grown Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My entire apartment runs for $150 a month, and that's with 3 saltwater tanks totalling 200 gallons and a 29 gallon freshwater.

Nemo&Friends

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
efforts to save energy were best understood as aids to the environment, and not one's fiscal balance sheet.
I agree as reefer and ocean lovers, we should all care for the environment as much as possible. This include minding our energy consumption to slow climate change, and limiting usage of plastic and other unnecessary stuff which end up in the ocean, polluting it and killing fish and corals.

Andresnyc93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly if you get some of the equipment from 2019 or sooner it should help save you a lot of money in electricity.
New equipment is more energy efficient and you’re also never going to have everything on.
I live in New York and my bill has gone up maybe $40 per month but I’m running 2 tanks. 1 20gal quarantine tank and an 85gal DT, both using new equipment.

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree as reefer and ocean lovers, we should all care for the environment as much as possible. This include minding our energy consumption to slow climate change, and limiting usage of plastic and other unnecessary stuff which end up in the ocean, polluting it and killing fish and corals.
One day I'm going to post pictures of what it looks like when the North Atlantic gyre dumps its garbage load on windward beaches in the Bahamas. I spent a lot more of my childhood beachcombing for old shoes, light bulbs (especially T5 bulbs), and space junk than I did seashells.

If I were elected Grand Vizier, I'd make garbage my greatest environmental focus, as it's relatively easy to remedy and everyone -- no matter where you fall on the political spectrum -- seems to agree that it's a problem that we should (and don't) address.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i run 14 tanks, all with heaters and lights. My bill went up about $40-$50 a month. My hot tub averages $50 to $70 depending on use. My fish room temp averages 74 and most of my tanks are 78-81.
My 200 gallon Mermaid Tank (inflatable hot tub) is around $70 a month as well.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 21 15.1%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 64 46.0%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 47 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.2%
Back