Xaqau Overflow Review? Flooding risk w/ no backup drain? How much does water drop in power outage?

duganderson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thinking about using a Xaqua on a 39 gallon shallow reef tank? I love the minimalist and clean look!

What are your experiences with this overflow? Its does not have an emergency drain but the drain hose is 1.5" so I'm curious if it really could get clogged? Has anyone had a flood due to this?

Curious how much the water drops in a power outage with the Xaqua so I can calculate how much extra space needs to be in the sump so it does not overflow if the return pump stops.

My other options are the small Figi cube or Eschopps overflow box with two drains.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would search youtube videos for operational info.

OP
OP
D

duganderson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would search youtube videos for operational info.

I've checked out several videos and people seem pretty positive about this overflow and I have not heard of any flooding issues.

Someone reported that flooding and a clogged drainpipe are less likely because you do NOT have a gate valve on the overflow hose which makes a lot of sense to me.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clean your screen once a week when doing water changes and you be fine

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
What are your experiences with this overflow? Its does not have an emergency drain but the drain hose is 1.5" so I'm curious if it really could get clogged? Has anyone had a flood due to this?
One of the main reasons to have 2 overflow drains is that you can use a valve to restrict the air flow with the water to make it a full syphon drain, and still have the second drain as a emergency drain in case the pump fluctuates or something clogs the main drain.
It's about making it quiet.

OP
OP
D

duganderson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the main reasons to have 2 overflow drains is that you can use a valve to restrict the air flow with the water to make it a full syphon drain, and still have the second drain as a emergency drain in case the pump fluctuates or something clogs the main drain.
It's about making it quiet.

Thank you! That makes total sense

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back