How much return flow during a power outage?

NeilC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 5 ft 100 gallon tank with a 75 gallon sump. I have 2 return pumps. 1 is a dc tunze 1073.050 which is rated for a max of 700 gph. With the pump running on the 12 volt group 31 agm battery, i would estimate it might be pumping about 100 gph. It should do this for several days during emergency power outages. Considering that is far less than my normal return flow, do you think that low of flow will keep the system from crashing? I could add a small tunze 12v powerhead but it will reduce my run time.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could work. Depends on bioload and what you have for filtration. After a days time, Heat and cold come into play

dank reefer

IG: dankreefer_IG
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will definitely help to have some flow running during a power outage. Surprised with your calculations that the return pump would run longer than a powerhead, but I must admit I know diddly about electric conversion and what not.

OP
OP
N

NeilC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The return pump will not run longer than the powerhead alone. The return pump alone will run longer than both. I have a 30 gallon refugium and I feel like a powerhead in the display alone would just crash the refugium and when the power comes on, all of the stuff in the crashed sump will just get pumped into the tank.

OP
OP
N

NeilC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update. I found a 12v to 24v up converter on Amazon and it works great. Full power to the pump when the electricity is turned off. I am sure it cut my time in half but there is definitely enough flow to keep everything happy now. Only $12 too.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 67 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.1%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 27 15.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back