How much sand is best? [Poll]

How deep of a sand bed is best? (I'm planning on having a goby/shrimp pair)

  • Less than 0.5 inches

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 0.5 inches

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 3 inches

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 3.5 inches

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4 inches

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • More than 4 inches

    Votes: 0 0.0%

  • Total voters
    15

hds4216

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 18, 2020
Messages
1,277
Reaction score
1,661
Location
Denver, CO
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm planning on getting a goby/pistol shrimp pair and I hear they can need slightly more sand. Newbie here. Any thoughts?
 
oops I did not read the question just did the poll i would say 1.5- 2" but to be honest I never had them in all these years of reefing. but from what I see on here that seems to be the sweet spot.
 
I am in the same spot right now. Just added 40lb of live sand into a 20long and have a 2.5in sand bed. Wondering if this is too deep... Willing to siphon out some into the sump to add sand there, but initially wanted bare bottom in the sump to siphon detritus. Following on this thread for goby/shrimp sand bed suggestions
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 2 15.4%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 2 15.4%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 3 23.1%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 6 46.2%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new