How much time do you spend on your tank?

  • Thread starter Thread starter ReefJCB
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

How many hours a week do you spend on your tank(s)?


  • Total voters
    31

ReefJCB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 4, 2015
Messages
1,674
Reaction score
812
Location
Arizona
What state or country do you live in
Arizona
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m doing some tank maintenance this weekend and got me thinking about how much time I spend on my tank each week.

Daily fish feeding
Cleaning glass every other day
Cleaning filter socks every 3 days
Weekly water change
Weekly aiptasia hunting (UGH)
Weekly coral spot feeding
Weekly tinkering
Cleaning pumps every ~3 months
Cleaning sump every ~6 months

Then there’s misc stuff like:
Forum research
QTing fish
Frag swaps
Home made fish food
Im sure I’m missing stuff, and this doesn’t even count the time I spend LOOKING at it, but realistically I think I’m spending at least 5 hours a week on my tank. Curious to see what others are doing.
 
I agree with @Ippyroy, this is my busy time of the year and I work anywhere from 50 to 90 hours a week. It just depends on whether or not I am on call, and since I picked up a 2nd on call to pay for my tank upgrade, it is usually 70 to 90 hours a week. My Apex lets me know what is going on.
 
3-4 hours total display maintenance, mixing water, filling up ATOs, buying stuff online, going to the LFS and getting stuff, quarantine fish through TTM and looking after the coral quarantine tank
 
In the past I used to spend hours and now its maybe 30 mins per week. Focus on testing Alk, cleaning skimmer, and feeding. These tasks don't take long but main time I spend is monthly spending an hour cleaning all the powerheads with vinegar and every 2-3 months doing a 30% waterchanges, this task is time consuming for me so maybe a 3 hours.

I find its been more beneficial to observe and test so I can figure out what works and what doesn't. Alk stability has been of most imporant and also has been keeping flow stable by cleaning all the pumps.
 

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 6 28.6%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 5 23.8%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 1 4.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new