How much water can I change at a time?

Mariette

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a 5 foot long tank and I'd like to clean all the gravel but it syphons out too much water to do it all at once. How much of a water change is too much? I want to avoid restarting the cycle as i have done in the past.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is one way that works. If you veer from it, then it may not :)

this allows complete sandbed swaps on sps tanks but u have to follow order of ops to make it skip cycle

*example reading work is post #1 and then last two pages, each work job read in full from last two pages it’s only 20 mins read

if you read that you won’t lose your tank to a recycle. You can move your reef, change bed, clean bed, change all water, upgrade or downgrade, if you simply don’t do it on top of a dirty sandbed or dirty unkempt rocks. When you change water on top of dirty substrates, then a % change max does apply or you’ll upwell too much waste.

Last edited:

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Drain your currently clean top water off the tank and hold in two brute trash cans before clouding work ruins it

Run the work we show after the water has been collected and held away from sand needing fixed

install 80% old water and 20% new as a work trade off on top of new/old but rinsed or no sand at all

if you don’t want to do a second grade job, which will still skip cycle it’s just more algae water left in the tank, then change out to all new water as we did.

Larry L

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a sump? If so you can siphon from the tank into a filter sock in the sump without losing any water.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 38 47.5%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 17 21.3%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 19 23.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 7.5%
Back