How much weight can a tank rim handle?

yanetterer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any information on how much weight the rim of a tank can handle? I'm thinking specifically in regards to clamp-on style lighting. I have had a pair of Kessil A160WEs with the arm mounts on a rimmed tank for years without issue, but I was thinking of adding some more light. Which got me thinking about just how much weight the tank could safely hold. Some of the larger fixtures have mounting arm options and that looks like that could a lot of weight being applied at a weird angle.

I've seen plenty of tanks run for years with clamp-on lights and I remember seeing one on here that had a couple of Kessils mounted to a T5 hybrid fixture using only the Kessil arms, which sounds like a lot of weight for the small mounting points so I'm curious just how safe something like that would be in the long run.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t answer your question, but many years ago I had a cheap rimmed 75 gallon tank and I had a huge wooden canopy that weighed a lot sitting on it without issue. Although to be fair that does spread the weight out over the entire top of the tank evenly.
I’ve always worried about the twisting force from single arm mounts.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Is there any information on how much weight the rim of a tank can handle? I'm thinking specifically in regards to clamp-on style lighting. I have had a pair of Kessil A160WEs with the arm mounts on a rimmed tank for years without issue, but I was thinking of adding some more light. Which got me thinking about just how much weight the tank could safely hold. Some of the larger fixtures have mounting arm options and that looks like that could a lot of weight being applied at a weird angle.

I've seen plenty of tanks run for years with clamp-on lights and I remember seeing one on here that had a couple of Kessils mounted to a T5 hybrid fixture using only the Kessil arms, which sounds like a lot of weight for the small mounting points so I'm curious just how safe something like that would be in the long run.
Its not a matter of weight but weight distribution and as stated by Gtinnel, they can handle I believe the old rule was equivalent to tank weight . Bowing is biggest risk but lessened with a typical rectangular tank

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 7 17.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 5 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 24 60.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 5.0%
Back