How much weight can my basement take?

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol I have a ph issue now. But I use an air drive skimmer so no Venturi to pull air in with. I went round and round over how to get my air pump to draw outside air. I saw a neighbors kid put a toy in a Tupperware. So I copied him, I copied a 3 year old. I bought a air tight flour/sugar container and installed a 1/2 in hose barb into the lid and used silicone to seal it. I run the hose out the window and the air pump in my room feeds my skimmer fresh air
that sounds very interesting, your not the only one with this problem but might be one of the few that has a great idea around it... do you have a link to any of your info on it or care to elaborate a little more? i know you have me thinking..

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that sounds very interesting, your not the only one with this problem but might be one of the few that has a great idea around it... do you have a link to any of your info on it or care to elaborate a little more? i know you have me thinking..
If you can wait until Sunday I’ll tear it down and build it out so that I can show what I did with it. I was eventually going to do a thread on the idea as a whole, after I had some data to back up success.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t underestimate the humidity. You don’t want to ruin your house or grow mold.

OP
OP
Be102

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay.. so with all the rain I have found the location where my cement seems to be leaking.. it’s apparently not too bad but it seems bad to me.. here’s a pic… any ideas what to do? It seems to come down one long crack. Im told it goes down behind the plastic that is on the bottom of the wall but unsure if that’s a big deal long term or if I will be fine.

Attachments

• A4867134-59F6-4AA1-8CD2-120DB26BB0CD.jpeg
    A4867134-59F6-4AA1-8CD2-120DB26BB0CD.jpeg
    222 KB · Views: 37

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can wait until Sunday I’ll tear it down and build it out so that I can show what I did with it. I was eventually going to do a thread on the idea as a whole, after I had some data to back up success.
I have tons of time please don't rush for r2r, it sounds awesome and even better you would rather wait to show something whole, for everyone to grab info from! That makes me even more excited, so please take your time and get back when your ready thanks!

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay.. so with all the rain I have found the location where my cement seems to be leaking.. it’s apparently not too bad but it seems bad to me.. here’s a pic… any ideas what to do? It seems to come down one long crack. Im told it goes down behind the plastic that is on the bottom of the wall but unsure if that’s a big deal long term or if I will be fine.
Absolutely for the time being I would go get hydraulic cement and do a little research on storm water pipe repair and hydraulic cement. This my help you, I am no professional so I don't want to give you any wrong info on this but maybe that can take you down the road you need.

OP
OP
Be102

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely for the time being I would go get hydraulic cement and do a little research on storm water pipe repair and hydraulic cement. This my help you, I am no professional so I don't want to give you any wrong info on this but maybe that can take you down the road you need.
Seems like I can just use this stuff..

Easy enough!
realistically it’s a very small amount of water but still this is the best Way to go I think..

On other thoughts… well guys I’m getting some crazy ideas… seeing people building large tank into a wall and whatnot is making me think about widening the opening to my basement ( if needed) getting and getting a large tank down there.

I also am putting a deposit on a new German Shepard puppy tomorrow

Treefer32

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think part of it depends what's under the house. I have a 350 gallon system with powdercoated steel stand in my basement. I assume my tank with sump weighs well over 4,000 pounds concentrated in a single spot in my house. I talked to an architect and he indicated that depending how compact the clay is under the footings for the basement it's possible the weight could cause one part of the house to sink faster than the other side into the clay. That said, my house is brand new, I bought it new and had it built for me. So, there's a ton of settling for new houses. Something that's already settled and set in place will be fine. It's more with new construction the house spends a few years settling. I know that doors, windows, cabinet doors, all the frames are slightly off now. The builder told me this would happen that as things settle, doors would need to be adjusted, cabinet doors would too, etc. Garage door squeaks like crazy! Which is all from settling.

In short, do you need to worry? No... Do I? Maybe. :)

OP
OP
Be102

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think part of it depends what's under the house. I have a 350 gallon system with powdercoated steel stand in my basement. I assume my tank with sump weighs well over 4,000 pounds concentrated in a single spot in my house. I talked to an architect and he indicated that depending how compact the clay is under the footings for the basement it's possible the weight could cause one part of the house to sink faster than the other side into the clay. That said, my house is brand new, I bought it new and had it built for me. So, there's a ton of settling for new houses. Something that's already settled and set in place will be fine. It's more with new construction the house spends a few years settling. I know that doors, windows, cabinet doors, all the frames are slightly off now. The builder told me this would happen that as things settle, doors would need to be adjusted, cabinet doors would too, etc. Garage door squeaks like crazy! Which is all from settling.

In short, do you need to worry? No... Do I? Maybe. :)
See.. I am in a similar boat as you where my house has settled so much over the past 30 years that a lot of stuff seems wrong and out of line.. I think I won’t stress it too much as I’m reality if I put a really heavy item downstairs it would probably be fine as well.
I worry too much!

Dennis Cartier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are companies that specialize in repairing cracks in basement walls. They inject them with industrial epoxy from the bottom of the crack up. In my previous house, I had some cracks develop at the corners of the basement windows after some road construction took place. The basement was finished, so I had to figure out where the cracks were, then tear the drywall out in those locations. Then the repair guys came in and affixed nipples along the length of the crack, attached with fiberglass bondo, and then injected the crack working from the bottom up, filling each nipple until the epoxy flowed out the nipple above.

Dennis

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 13 27.7%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 39 83.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 14.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.3%
Back