OP
Be102

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t let a door frame stop you. Support ceiling and rip out the wall as needed.
Perhaps hire a professional.
I won’t have to support the ceiling… but do not fool yourself… I did think about getting it down this door by maybe widening it if I needed to! Haha

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 41
OP
OP
Be102

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bet your afraid of the wife reaction?
Luckily… I’m 25 and single so don’t have anyone to appeal to.. obviously me making an opening would be fun to explain to my dad but it’s not like it couldn’t be repaired!!

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Luckily… I’m 25 and single so don’t have anyone to appeal to.. obviously me making an opening would be fun to explain to my dad but it’s not like it couldn’t be repaired!!
What about building your own large tank with sheets of glass and silicone, and then it would be a little easier to get down there. I moved a 120g 22mm glass with four 9" suction cup glass holders and 2 people. But it was very heavy! Good luck
I wish I had that basement! You have tons of possibilities there! is there only a stairwell no lower door to the outside?

OP
OP
Be102

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about building your own large tank with sheets of glass and silicone, and then it would be a little easier to get down there. I moved a 120g 22mm glass with four 9" suction cup glass holders and 2 people. But it was very heavy! Good luck
I wish I had that basement! You have tons of possibilities there! is there only a stairwell no lower door to the outside?
I’m thinking that whatever size tank I have, I would have a moving company or something do all the manual labor.

I have a stairwell inside my house. The pic above is about 7 feet from an exterior door.

How difficult is it to actually make your own tank? I thought about building the tank and then it could be as large as I wanted.

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New question of the day… how large of tank fits through a standard door frame?!
That's easy. Just build the tank in place and then you only have to fit the flat pieces through the door. I keep my monster tanks in the basement and built them all in place. Then there is no major concerns about weight restrictions since you are on a slab already as long as the stand is built to distribute the tank weight evenly on the floor.

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You divide the room with a wall.
IMG_1085-M.jpg

You put what you want people to see on one side
2021060413445626--8366068108165991276-IMG_3660-edited-M.jpg

and what you don't on the other
IMG_2496_heic-M.jpg

It's very helpful if you have access to plumbing so you can have a utility sink.
IMG_2500_heic-M.jpg
This is an awesome set up, I’m inspired!

OP
OP
Be102

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's easy. Just build the tank in place and then you only have to fit the flat pieces through the door. I keep my monster tanks in the basement and built them all in place. Then there is no major concerns about weight restrictions since you are on a slab already as long as the stand is built to distribute the tank weight evenly on the floor.
How difficult is it for someone whom has never even drilled a tank… to build my own? I’m thinking like an 8x30x24 or something… unsure still.

I guess if I break the pane of glass, that I could replace it easier than if the tank was here and I drilled it myself so that’s an upside..

Still seems extreme haha

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How difficult is it for someone whom has never even drilled a tank… to build my own? I’m thinking like an 8x30x24 or something… unsure still.

I guess if I break the pane of glass, that I could replace it easier than if the tank was here and I drilled it myself so that’s an upside..

Still seems extreme haha
Without knowing your skill set with wood working, tools, planning building its hard to say. If you are worried about drilling holes in the glass you can order it in some cases with the holes pre-drilled so you don't have to do that. I would suggest if you consider building your own tank and are unsure of yourself then you can try building a smaller tank first as practice. I would also suggest reading the forum as there are many detailed threads about DIY builds that were successful as well as some failures that are a must read. Lots of research is important along with time and patience. I am not going to lie though you must consider that if you build an aquarium there is always a chance it can fail which is also possible with any aquarium even one purchased from an aquarium builder. The skills required to build a tank also depend on how you plan to build as there are lots of DIY options: All-glass, all-acrylic, plywood with glass or acrylic face, pond-liner tanks with glass or acrylic faces, composite bottom with glass sides, fiberglass, ect. Once you get into larger tanks like what you are planning things like humidity control and redundant power systems become very important during the design phase of your build.

OP
OP
Be102

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without knowing your skill set with wood working, tools, planning building its hard to say. If you are worried about drilling holes in the glass you can order it in some cases with the holes pre-drilled so you don't have to do that. I would suggest if you consider building your own tank and are unsure of yourself then you can try building a smaller tank first as practice. I would also suggest reading the forum as there are many detailed threads about DIY builds that were successful as well as some failures that are a must read. Lots of research is important along with time and patience. I am not going to lie though you must consider that if you build an aquarium there is always a chance it can fail which is also possible with any aquarium even one purchased from an aquarium builder. The skills required to build a tank also depend on how you plan to build as there are lots of DIY options: All-glass, all-acrylic, plywood with glass or acrylic face, pond-liner tanks with glass or acrylic faces, composite bottom with glass sides, fiberglass, ect. Once you get into larger tanks like what you are planning things like humidity control and redundant power systems become very important during the design phase of your build.
There are SO many different types of diy tanks I’m finding now… I did build my own stand before and am rather confident with my hands but where it gets hazy is the thought of applying silicone and whatnot to withstand the weight of the tank.
I am now going to fall into the rabbit hole of diy videos.

Where are panes of aquarium glass ordered from? What would I go about doing for euro bracing it I wonder..

I just saw a quick video where the diy king made a 560 gallon tank very cheaply and seemed rather easily.. luckily I have a lot of room so I could do something along those lines then run sthff to my sump and whatnot.

I have a significant of aquarium supplies I feel I have accumulated as the years have gone. Like two sumps, sets of lights, 2 skimmers and whatnot…
I will eventually make a list of everything I have to start making a plan to utilize the equipment I have rather than immediately buying new things!

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Still seems extreme haha
Custom aquariums
Metal framed tank like mine
30962457028982803000.6250.50.625STANDARD$2,866

Glass cages will build a tank to those dimensions

300963025Euro-Braced$ 1,593

I wouldn't consider building one myself.

OP
OP
Be102

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Custom aquariums
Metal framed tank like mine
30962457028982803000.6250.50.625STANDARD$2,866

Glass cages will build a tank to those dimensions

300963025Euro-Braced$ 1,593

I wouldn't consider building one myself.
The biggest question now… is if it can fit down my stairs! I do have a step down right at the top which I feel could help with getting it down the stairs.. I’m thinking about taking a box and folding it to the same dimensions to see if it’s feasible.
300 gallon display plus extra sump water seems reasonable in regards to water changes and whatnot.

I’d probably build my stand with wood as I could build it on spot.

My current plan is to have my sumps hooked up together if possible ( I could easily fit two sumps under my stand if it’s 96’ as well as having an extra supply of water probably in one of those Rubbermaid 150 gallon tubs.

OP
OP
Be102

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will be honest.. acrylic is sounding interesting to use… also seems rather cheap too.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you undertake this put cheap out of your mind. Nothing about a big tank is cheap. Nothing you had for smaller tanks will be much use.
Big skimmer, big flow pumps, lots of lights, lots of stuff.
It all adds up pretty quick

My tank was cheaper than the 4 MP60s I have for flow.

OP
OP
Be102

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you undertake this put cheap out of your mind. Nothing about a big tank is cheap. Nothing you had for smaller tanks will be much use.

Yeah… I don’t think any of it will be cheap! I don’t even think reefing can be cheap unless you are diy everything and even then it’s pricy.

I learned the hard way when I fell in love at the fish store with a reef set up.. bought everything then was told I needed to buy live rocks… sure why not..? Oh yeah they’re $9.99 a lb.. no big deal I’ll grab like .. 120 lbs.. rip.

Don’t even get me started with running my closed loop reef tank with a canister filter that never was changed…

I’ve learned a lot over the years!! And have added some expensive stuff to my tank which has been fallow for like three years…

I got..
2 mp40s
Orphek v2
Profilux 4 setup
Marine depot trigger System 36 inch sump
Lifereef overflow and protein skimmer ( two of these actually as I inherited a neighbors tank as well as their life reef sump)
2 varios v6 one for return one for skimmer
Then a lot of random pumps, powerheads and other miscellaneous stuff.

I always say my tank is worth more than my car haha.
This new tank will be even more..

One thing I do want to do differently is plan absolutely everything before I start making decisions. I want to have everything planned from filtration plans to display size and everything in between… which will be something

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i wish i could express my thoughts as well as you but thats perfect and what i would say as well!!;Happy

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The biggest question now… is if it can fit down my stairs! I do have a step down right at the top which I feel could help with getting it down the stairs.. I’m thinking about taking a box and folding it to the same dimensions to see if it’s feasible.
300 gallon display plus extra sump water seems reasonable in regards to water changes and whatnot.

I’d probably build my stand with wood as I could build it on spot.

My current plan is to have my sumps hooked up together if possible ( I could easily fit two sumps under my stand if it’s 96’ as well as having an extra supply of water probably in one of those Rubbermaid 150 gallon tubs.
thats the only reason i suggested to build your own because of moving an assembled tank that size down stairs and around corners would be extremely hard with a "glass" tank even acrylic tank that size would probably have 3/4" thick acrylic. its heavy too.. and harder to diy..... plus they scratch to easy... diy king made that one out of plywood and pond liner... there are tons of options to build something, just watch a few videos of people moving giant tanks and imagine the struggle, lol... like i said my glass 120 was a bear and i can imagine something bigger then add stairs... no thank you :}

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

my tank was the same price as my skimmer, and cheaper than my lighting :}

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a few giant air pumps with long hoses. Put the pump "outside" air stones in the room and protein skimmer air line outside too.idk......
Lol I have a ph issue now. But I use an air drive skimmer so no Venturi to pull air in with. I went round and round over how to get my air pump to draw outside air. I saw a neighbors kid put a toy in a Tupperware. So I copied him, I copied a 3 year old. I bought a air tight flour/sugar container and installed a 1/2 in hose barb into the lid and used silicone to seal it. I run the hose out the window and the air pump in my room feeds my skimmer fresh air

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 38 32.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back