How often do you calibrate your refractometer?

balajeek15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its time for me to buy a good salinity checker and after reading this forum I am not sure if i should go with Hanna or Vee Gee Scientific.

Hanna as per their instruction its a tester to test fresh mix salt water and not directly on the tank, what!

infinite0180

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Its time for me to buy a good salinity checker and after reading this forum I am not sure if i should go with Hanna or Vee Gee Scientific.

Hanna as per their instruction its a tester to test fresh mix salt water and not directly on the tank, what!

My hanna salinity checker works great right in my tank. Matches my calibrated refrac as well as what ATI reported from my last ICP test. I trust it without a doubt...

Fallling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently - never.

The little bolt for adjusting is stuck/rusted. Fortunately, it's stuck right at 35 ppt. Every once in a blue moon I do double check with calibration fluid that it hasn't changed, but it's been like this for 2 years now without any issues (I should really get a new refractometer).

Before this, I calibrated EVERY time- I had some bad experiences by skipping this step.

balajeek15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great, just ordered one at amazon for tomorrow delivery, couldn't wait for BRS shipping :)

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally calibrated my refractometer for the first time a few months ago to find that it was pretty far off. Now I make sure to calibrate before every use and find that it often needs small adjustments.

I just had a similar experience. I was mixing my salt about 20% weaker than I should because of it. I've calibrated with 35 ppt solution I got off amazon every time I use it now. It has been a little off each time. It surprises me how little it takes to bump it off.

Tastee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only test my salinity every few weeks and just calibrate my refractometer to zero with RODI water before each test. I run an Apex however so rely on it’s probe to alert me to salinity changes - only use it for trends not absolute numbers.

Westside Guy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I calibrate my Red Sea refractometer almost every time I use it with RO which is what Red Sea recommends. I recently purchased some 35 ppt solution to confirm everything is correct.

7365A8DF-A4C8-440A-9FED-B4BA6D45EFF2.jpeg

cvrle1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question for folks using various calibration solutions. How much do you trust those to be at 35ppt? Reason I am asking is because I was reading quite a bit lately on this topic (started out by researching how often to calibrate refractometer funny enough) and Randy Holmes-Farley has said on more than one occasion that he found that those calibration solutions can be off. Thats why he shared recipe for his mixture that gives 35ppt every time without any doubt. Great thing about it is that it requires 2 items (salt and RODI water) and it is really easy to make.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 24.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 50 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 29.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.7%
Back