How often do you clean DI and mixing reservoir?

How often do you maintenance reservoir(s)?

• Every other month

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Every 3 months

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

West1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just curious how often everyone cleans them out.

I use 2 20gl Brute trash cans. One has DI for top off water and when I need a fresh salt for a water change. The 2nd is used to mix new salt. I need to wipe down my salt brute can and lid once a month due to brown residue (not sure if mold or algae).

My DI is about once every other month or as soon as TDS reads 1ppm. In case it matters, I test a small portion of DI after a 5-10min water runoff. If 0TDS, I then plug waterline to Brute. Once filled, I test Brute water to make sure it's still reading 0TDS (which rn its reading 3PPM so I disposed water and maintenancing the brown film and changed old RODI filters).

I wipe down each crevice with paper towels until the paper is white.

Any other methods that are easier?
Am I overworking??

Tyvm!

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a smaller 15 gallon barrel to mix saltwater. I clean it probably every 2-3 months. If there is noticeable crud on the bottom which rarely happens thanks to regular IO. Occasionally I use it for taking dirty water out of a tank, then it will need some rising and usually gets a quick scrub too.

I recently cleaned my RO/DI container for the first time in 3 years. Honestly it didn't need cleaning at all. I only have in line TDS not a handheld meter so I didn't test but there was no bio film at all on any of the walls. That's enough for me to know it's still clean. It's closed 99.9% of the time with a hole drilled near the top where the RO/DI water drips in. If you keep it closed it should stay clean. When I did clean it I just used a small amount of 100% bleach. I then wiped it down and waited a few days to fill it back up. Bleach will evaporate over time.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

• I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 11 73.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 13.3%
Back