How often do you clean your mixing buckets

meinekebob

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am wondering how often do you need to clean your mixing buckets out. I'm using a 32 gallon brute can and its getting some brown stuff on the sides.
Also does anyone use a sediment filter to filter there salt water in the mixing bucket? or before it goes into the tank.
Thanks

windemerejack

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never, I used tmpr salt and never had any issues with substances left behind, the last inch on the bottom of my barrel i just tip upside down to empty and refilled it.

rioreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I switched to Tropic Marin Pro and never had an issue with residue since. Before that was Instant Ocean and every other mix on my 45g Brute can I had to clean out.

A sea K

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also use TM pro. My mixing container is only a 5 gallon pail but never the less it is rinsed and wiped clean after every W/C. Previously I had a much larger system and my mixing bucket was 44 gallon brute can. It still got the same treatment, rinse and wipe after every change. FWIW at that time i used IORC salt and it left the bucket quite dirty with residue

DSEKULA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the common sense approach, if theres some sort of reason i think i should clean it i do. Reasons include residue or a slime build up starting.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I don’t. I rinse after every use

OP
OP
M

meinekebob

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the responses. I'm using mine for automatic water changes and was surprised that it had some browning on the sides. It didn't seem to happen at first, but after 2 months its getting browning. Using Red Sea blue bucket salt. Then i just saw on BRS about using a sediment filter for the salt water in the mixing bucket. never crossed my mind. Looks like i might be cleaning it out more often then i thought.

lefkonj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the responses. I'm using mine for automatic water changes and was surprised that it had some browning on the sides. It didn't seem to happen at first, but after 2 months its getting browning. Using Red Sea blue bucket salt. Then i just saw on BRS about using a sediment filter for the salt water in the mixing bucket. never crossed my mind. Looks like i might be cleaning it out more often then i thought.
I use Red Sea Pro and have a 65 gallon mixing container. It does eventually get a residue in the container. I clean it maybe twice a year as much as possible.

OP
OP
M

meinekebob

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just let it run down to the end and cleaned it. not a lot of stuff, maybe I'm just a little paranoid, but was surprised it was there so soon.thanks.
nobody runs a sediment filter?

Rickybobby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No matter what salt I use I get the brown residue on the sides. Sometimes I scrub. But most I just leave it

Reefing_addiction

It’s my TANK and I want it NOW!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a small tank so after I mix and use my water I wipe the bucket out. Only get build up if I leave the water mixing for a few days

Marc88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've just started tossing around the idea of using a sediment filter. My salt water line clogged recently and I had to blow the residue out. I almost had to replace the whole line. I don't think it would be a bad idea to have one. I didn't take a picture but if you saw what came out of that line you would use the filter too..

OP
OP
M

meinekebob

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thinking about running a sediment filter, but not sure what micron filter. 1 or 5.
@Bulk Reef Supply
What micron filter are you running on your fresh salt water filter?

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am wondering how often do you need to clean your mixing buckets out. I'm using a 32 gallon brute can and its getting some brown stuff on the sides.
Also does anyone use a sediment filter to filter there salt water in the mixing bucket? or before it goes into the tank.
Thanks
Hw reefer salt no residue.
Mix it in a 40 gallon white cooler with circ pump and heater.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 155 67.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back