How often do you dose your 55g reef tank?

Can enough crucial elements (calcium, alk, mag) be replenished by only doing weekly water changes?

• Yes.

Votes: 8 66.7%
  • No.

Votes: 4 33.3%

• Total voters

Brian Goldstein

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello reefers!

I have upgraded to a Red Sea Reefer 250 and I am curious how often you guys/gals dose your reef system.

I plan on keeping soft coral, LPS, and a few SPS.

Thanks all,

-Brian G.

Justfebreezeit

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Weekly water changes are great for replenishing trace elements and even to an extent the big 3.

However you do hit a point fairly early that requires dosing for calc and alk. (for lps and sps)

codeblue48

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello reefers!

I have upgraded to a Red Sea Reefer 250 and I am curious how often you guys/gals dose your reef system.

I plan on keeping soft coral, LPS, and a few SPS.

Thanks all,

-Brian G.
This is entirely dependent on your tanks consumption, as no two tanks are the same. You will dose based on what your tanks consumption is and adjust accordingly as the tank grows out and matures.

You also need to select the 2-Part you plan to use. There are many good ones out there and all have different concentrations which will also affect how much one "doses."

Once you have done that you can use the reef calculators from marine depot and BRS's websites which will tell you how much of a specific product you need to dose based on your system volume and desired parameters.

Hope this helps

sil40sx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just used to do just monthly water change and kalkwasser in my ATO in the beginning, but as corals grows, they consumes more, so kalkwasser wasn't enough anymore to replenish the consumption. Fast forward 10 months today, I'm dosing 20ml Ca, 20ml Alk, 8ml Mag daily.

Don't dose for the levels you aren't regularly testing. Only way to find out how much you need is to test before you dose, and 24 hours after, to figure out home much is needed. You will have to do this couple days in the beginning to get exact numbers. Then weekly, or monthly after you get the hang of it.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 23.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 8 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 35 53.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 7.7%
Back