How Often Do You Run Your Auto Neck Cleaner

Fish76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Reef Octopus neck cleaner and am programming my Apex but I'm not sure how often and how long I should program it for. CoralVue website says 4-6x per day for a couple minutes which seems like too much. BRS has code to run it 4x per day at only 15sec. Can you guys let me know what you guys have yours set too?

Wspangler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have another brand of neck cleaner. I run it twice a day for 2 mins each time. It keeps it pretty clean. I clean the collection cup and unit about once a month.

Eckolancer

LED GURU
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run twice a day as well. But should clean the cup and unit more often. Right now I just dump skimate once my apex tells me it's full. That's about every couple weeks. I have a skimate locker that's a DIY 1 gallon container.

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run mine once a day. It's on a timer and not a controller so I think it runs for a few minutes before shutting off. As long as you're getting good skimmate collection I wouldn't worry about it.

OP
OP
Fish76

Fish76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thanks guys. I think I'll initially try maybe 90sec 3x's a day and see how that goes.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is this neck cleaner that you speak of? Is there actually a device that cleans the inside neck (areas that I assumed were not cleanable without soaking) of protein skimmers? Time to do some interwebs searching :)

OP
OP
Fish76

Fish76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is this neck cleaner that you speak of? Is there actually a device that cleans the inside neck (areas that I assumed were not cleanable without soaking) of protein skimmers? Time to do some interwebs searching :)

Yeah it actually cleans the neck automatically. There's like this squeegee attached to a motor that rotates and wipes the neck clean for you. I have a reef octopus brand which is specific to my skimmer but there's universal ones out there made by Avast Marine and Vertex that I know of. It's just one less thing you need to do. I would still clean it manually but this allows you to have to do less often. Just go to BRS and search neck cleaner.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah it actually cleans the neck automatically. There's like this squeegee attached to a motor that rotates and wipes the neck clean for you. I have a reef octopus brand which is specific to my skimmer but there's universal ones out there made by Avast Marine and Vertex that I know of. It's just one less thing you need to do. I would still clean it manually but this allows you to have to do less often. Just go to BRS and search neck cleaner.

Ok....I was thinking it cleaned the body..not the neck. How do you clean the body down by the bubble plate (where the pump attaches)? My RO skimmer doesn't seem to come apart?

Eckolancer

LED GURU
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok....I was thinking it cleaned the body..not the neck. How do you clean the body down by the bubble plate (where the pump attaches)? My RO skimmer doesn't seem to come apart?

Pull skimmer out and clean it. Maybe twice a year or more depending on build up.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back