How often should I dip my zoas?

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a large 50+ colony of zoas that is receding from the middle. I dipped it in Coral Rx last weekend and this weekend as well. The healthy polyps look fine and the rest of the tank is great. The only thing that came off during the first dip was some pods. I may frag it soon to separate the healthy from the unhealthy ones but I wish I knew what the problem was. Would more frequent dips help? Dipping in something else? I'll take all the help I can get!

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could try something like Revive or Lugol's. These dips are more for the health of your corals instead of pests. Doesn't seem like a pest issue. Could be bacterial or fungal or even stress.

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

jservedio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be careful with revive - it is some harsh stuff. Most zoa guys dip zoas in lugols when they are receding or have pests/diseases. Do you have other colonies that are having problems or is it just a single colony?

It may be a pest of some sort like zoa spiders, zoa eating nudis, sundial snails, etc. - lugols won't take them out because they don't live on the zoas, they live in the rocks and come out at night. You need a flashlight with a red cover for it and a big cup of coffee - it'll be a long night.

Laker32

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What ratio do you use when dipping in Lugols solution. 1 drop per cup of tank water or 2 drops ect. Thanks.

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone! The rest of my zoas are fine. I'll get some lugols and try it out.

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update. I got some lugols today and dipped my zoas. They don't look happy at all. Most of them are closed now. Does it take a while for them to recover?

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another update: my zoas are continuing to recede. I've dipped in coral Rx again today and found some long stringy things that are the same color as the zoas. I cleaned them up and put them back in the tank. They're still all closed. Does anyone know what the problem might be? They were healthy for several months and then started disappearing. Any help would be appreciated!!

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone??? I'm really desperate for help and would appreciate any and all input!!

Duffam3434

**TASTE THE RAINBOW**
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope nothing like this happens to my Rasta Colony!! I use Lugols for them as well.

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope you find out what it is before there all gone. Good Luck!!

Thanks everyone!!! I don't think it's critters at this point. The rest of the tank is ok. They haven't reopened after the latest dip with coral Rx. I'll look up zoa diseases next. Wish me luck!

Fishfeet62

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi.. I'm also having a problem with my zoas... I've diped them twice and they look good for about two weeks then they close up agine... also what do sundial snail's look like

20190817_123238.jpg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back