How often should I run my skimmer?

ScubaSteve4Life

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 29 gallon reef and just got a Reef Octopus 100 protein skimmer. This skimmer is rated up to 105 gallons. Do I run this skimmer constantly?

lobster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you can I always run my skimmer 3-4x the size of system so I can keep a decent bioload

jrr98002

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generally, most everyone I've heard of runs their skimmer constantly. A skimmer is designed to take out proteins before they can be broken down and pollute your water, and that's happenining pretty much 24/7. I have heard of some people turning off/lowering their water level to the cup while feeding to keep food from being skimmed out, but really, if you're feeding so much it's getting past the DT into the sump to that degree before it's eaten, you're probably feeding too heavily.

OP
OP
ScubaSteve4Life

ScubaSteve4Life

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, sounds good. I'll leave it running. I was just worried if there was a thing as being too powerful for a specific tank size. I know you can have bigger rated skimmers but unsure about the 29 to 105 gallon leap in difference. Thanks guys!

kennedpa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usually skimmers are over rated by experience IMO. If you have high nutrients cut that max capacity in half easy for volume it can handle.

Light bio loads they will perform close to their rating.

kennedpa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently do the same....also I scrub CO2 with it for PH. I'd love to just run it at night with my refuge but I feed like a fat kid eats at a buffet.

Dave1045

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently do the same....also I scrub CO2 with it for PH. I'd love to just run it at night with my refuge but I feed like a fat kid eats at a buffet.

"Fat kid at the buffet"

Now THAT is funny right there! lol!

kennedpa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's true....if I were stuck in a tank I want someone to feed me a ton too. I actually just started culturing live foods instead of feeding junk food all the time. Sticks and fish are getting fat ;)

Dave1045

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's true....if I were stuck in a tank I want someone to feed me a ton too. I actually just started culturing live foods instead of feeding junk food all the time. Sticks and fish are getting fat ;)

What are you culturing ? Is it difficult?

kennedpa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brine. Pods/photo start next week. Seems to be simple. Only time will tell. New to it. Started due to the evidence on fish and coral health/ growth. Plus it'll save a bunch of money.

Dave1045

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking about raising brine shrimp too. A buddy in my reef club raises several different types of pods- and seems to be REALLY successful at it.

kennedpa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as you keep the water clean and them fed they sound easy to propagate. I just have a 5 gallon right now for the brine. Putting them in a 30 next week because I'll need a lot more feeding the way I do. I think it's worth it. Especially if you get finicky fish like wrasses or dragonets/some blennies they'll be a lot more likely to thrive or at least survive. I don't know, I'm sold and excited. There's a paper of pocillipora growth being fed brine eggs that smashed the other groups in growth rate by 10X. I don't net the brine. I scoop water and replace with fresh so the tanks getting all stages of growth hopefully the corals are eating too. They have a feeding response so I'm guessing they do. We should start a live food thread to follow my experience. Maybe your friend could chime in and you could start. You two could share cultures.

Sorry to hijack the thread.

Dave1045

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree- we did jack the thread a little. [emoji3]

I think a thread for feeding and culturing live foods is a GREAT idea. I would follow along and hopefully learn a bit- and then dive into to doing it myself. [emoji106]

kennedpa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure there's something here but I'll start one up with my experience and tag you in it

OP
OP
ScubaSteve4Life

ScubaSteve4Life

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol you guys are speaking a different language to me. Hopefully I get there one day! Good luck with your reefs!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I run mine 34/7, 8 days a week, 385 days a year. ;)

Back