How often should I top off my 40 gallon

jaycee123

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 40 gallon tank is always needing to be refilled. It seems like everyday I'm putting a half a quart to a full quart in the area of my sump where the return pump is. I do not have a light on it it is not too close to a window I do not know what it could be?

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend an auto top off system (ATO) there are all kinds of ATO system out there and there are a few threads here with information. I purchased the Autoaqua smart automatic, it is simple and it work very well for the dollar amount.

TomatoSauceTy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a glass top on it? How strong are the lights? Is there a fan blowing on the tank? These are the main factors when it comes to evaporation.

Half a quart seems about right, I have a open top tank and I top off every night and every morning.

smh254

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 40b evaporates about 6g a week. I have no lid on The tank and I 2nd the auto top off.

Ebone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No lid on mine I burn about a gallon or so a day, a little more in the winter... ATO makes life easy and keeps salinity in check... I use a 1.5 gallon ATO container so worst case I can't change the chemistry much

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 75 gallon evaporates about 10 gallons in a week. sometimes more or less depending on a/c use during the day. Yours sounds normal. Getting an ATO, like mentioned above, will help tremendously! I have the Tunze Osmolator and LOVE it!

OP
OP
jaycee123

jaycee123

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh okay. The man at my LFS said that its to much for my tank.

No lights yet, no lid, no top and no fan going.

Harold Green

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your lfs guy is wrong. I have a 29g with only one small pump that circulates water and it evaporates a half gallon of water daily. If you want to go cheap simply set up a water container above the sump and use airline and a valve to drip water into the sump. Once you get the rate close you will only have to make small adjustments. It's hard to beat a good ato but for a small tank dripping should work well. It also has the option of adding kalk or other supplements to the drip water.

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I evaporate 2.5-3 gallons a week out of a 16G nano and as much as 10-15 a week out of my 100G. A good reliable ATO system is not only a time saver, it is better for the inhabitants too since it keeps levels more stable.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 23.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 57 34.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 50 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%
Back