How often to put copepods into tank for mandarin goby?

Never. I have a biota mandarin for three years who only get frozen or pellets
Same….I’ve had mine for a long time and she only eats frozen and the occasional pellets…
 
So i am growing out apoc pods in a culture 5 gallon tank. But they reproduce kinda slowish. I can only harvest like once every 10 days and i take out about half of them and put them in my tank. I then buy tigger pods from the LFS every once in a while too. Mandarin is still alive and well 6 months later so i know its working. But is it necessary for me to buy these tigger pods or can i just put in my own apoc i am culturing only, skip tiggers, and use the 50% harvest every 10 days? is that enough?
Or maybe instead of 50% harvest every 10 days, do like 10% harvest every 6 days.

What does everyone else do?
Not sure if anyone has mentioned this or not but I have cultures for tig, tisbe and apocyclops. I have noticed the tisbe reproduce at a faster rate than the apocyclops! It's kinda wild truthfully!

I also read an article somewhere about a guy in the UK (I think) that cultures his pods outside in a bucket- no airstone or anything- with a banana peel as food. I have two cultures of each species running and 1 of each has no air stone to experiment with the idea. I have not noticed any differences in the cultures on airstone vs. not after 2 weeks and all seem to be thriving. Maybe next time you go to the store grab a bottle of another kind and try starting a new culture or pull from your existing to start a second? Just a thought! Good luck!!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 9 5.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 6.7%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 16.4%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 57 34.5%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 6.7%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 11 6.7%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 25 15.2%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 12 7.3%

New Posts

Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new