How overstocked is my tank?

TheBiggestFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As time went on, I just kept adding more and more fish to my 75 gallon reef and I am not sure how "bad" my stocking is. The scape has a lot of rock and hiding caverns. The only real aggression I see is from the clarkis here and there but nobody gets hurt. Everyone is fed and nutrients can be a little high sometimes. I am not sure if its overstocked to the point that I should remove anyone.

- 2 clarki clownfish (~3.5 in both)
- 1 onespot foxface (4 in)
- 1 bluethroat trigger (4 in)
- 1 longnose hawk (3 in)
- 1 copperband (3 in)
- 1 borbonius anthias (3 in)
- 1 radiant wrasse (3.5 in)
- 1 leopard wrasse (2 in)
- 1 royal gramma
- 1 chalk bass
- 1 springeri damsel

Total 12 fish

I would love to upgrade as we are moving soon but finances are limited and I am going off to college next year. Can someone give me advice?

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats clowns though you could have the two clowns and one other fish and have aggression. Nutrients being a little high, how high is that and is anything suffering? Algae out of hand or "0"? Is your maintenance taking over your life? or is it a simple wc and clean the glass. Id say you are probably fine Never had a foxface ive seen they can get pretty big, no idea how fast though. I did have bluethroats seemed like mine were 4-5" for quite a long time. Could you loose some fish sure probably wouldnt hurt but I dont think you have to.

OP
OP
TheBiggestFish

TheBiggestFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats clowns though you could have the two clowns and one other fish and have aggression. Nutrients being a little high, how high is that and is anything suffering? Algae out of hand or "0"? Is your maintenance taking over your life? or is it a simple wc and clean the glass. Id say you are probably fine Never had a foxface ive seen they can get pretty big, no idea how fast though. I did have bluethroats seemed like mine were 4-5" for quite a long time. Could you loose some fish sure probably wouldnt hurt but I dont think you have to.
algae has been a little bad but I havent been using my fuge. I'll get that up and running with my protein skimmer and everything should be in check

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had 12 fish in my 56 gallon. Some were small, like the masked gobies, and the barnacle blenny but if they all have territories without aggression, I wouldn't worry about them.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back