How quickly can I lower Alk?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not a fan of turning off any sort of reactor for more than a short time as the water can become stagnant and possibly produce hydrogen sulfide. There's no reason to turn off the water flow.

OP
OP
T

TheJoshuaPlan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not a fan of turning off any sort of reactor for more than a short time as the water can become stagnant and possibly produce hydrogen sulfide. There's no reason to turn off the water flow.
I do still have the circulation pump running if that makes a difference in the water becoming stagnant.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do still have the circulation pump running if that makes a difference in the water becoming stagnant.

Unless air is also getting in, it likely won't matter.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What would you consider a short time? Less than 4 hours, less than a day?

It depends on how much organic matter is in the water. I personally would not leave a reactor off for more than an hour, but longer may be OK. If you try it, I'd suggest smelling the effluent when you start up to be sure there is no rotten egg smell.

OP
OP
T

TheJoshuaPlan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends on how much organic matter is in the water. I personally would not leave a reactor off for more than an hour, but longer may be OK. If you try it, I'd suggest smelling the effluent when you start up to be sure there is no rotten egg smell.
So the better solution with same concept would be to just turn off the C02 and leave on the effluent flow, then we would not need to worry about the water becoming stagnant

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the better solution with same concept would be to just turn off the C02 and leave on the effluent flow, then we would not need to worry about the water becoming stagnant

Right. :)

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 11 9.2%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 51 42.5%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 57 47.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back