How quickly do your gyres drop gph?

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wondering. I have a Maxspect Jump 2K gyre on my 40 long. Seems like it is continually dropping flow strength and sometimes has difficulty switching from forward to reverse and vice versa. I gave it a good wipe down about a week ago and it is already slowing down. I don't know what a bushing is, but I understand you have to change them periodically. How often do you change yours?

Thanks!

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am running two of the Red Sea gyres which are build by Maxspect and I have not noticed any issues at all mate! They are going strong- havent been cleaned yet since i installed them 14 months ago. Might be time now :D

I never finish anythi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 4k I clean around the 6month mark. I don't run mine in the alternating direction mode tho . Puts to much stress on it .imo

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I was running them (1st or 2nd generation) they would start to lose GPH pretty quickly....much quicker than other water movers. I got tired of constantly cleaning them and moved on.

SPS2020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Impeller bushings are at the end of the cage and often need to be cleaned to allow the impeller to spin freely. I use wet\dry paper if I find things are getting "sticky". I clean my gyres about every two weeks at the same time I clean the wet side of my MP40. I have two different Maxspect gyres and three ReefWave 45 gyres. By far, the ReefWave 45 gyres are superior, IMO.

fodsod

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got 2 of the new Maxspec 330's in my 90g. They seem to slow down a bit after about 1-2 months of use but nothing drastic. I dropped $100 at CoralVue and got a second set of blades and cages so I can just swap them in quickly and clean the other ones later.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 163 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.7%
Back