How should I use bacteria with Ammonia?

Lermanator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi-

I'm going to be getting a red sea reefer 170 in a couple of days. I plan to boost the cycling process with 4 oz of Frtiz Turbostart 900. I know the bacteria needs a source of ammonia. Which would complete the cycle quicker: Dr. Tim's ammonium chloride or live fish.

Also, what point in the setup should I add each component?

Thanks

K-Philly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now we're talking, a topic that I am super familiar with. So that I don't setup a roast fest on myself, I will inform you on the most common methods and then my preferred method. Also, if you will go under my threads that I have created, I have a more detailed explanation of what the cycle does and how it works.

For starters, nothing will guarantee that anything you do will speed up a certain cycle. There are just averages of when most cycles finish for people. My average is roughly 4 weeks, others have noticed longer. What I can guarantee you is, you need to have patience. That will be your most resourceful tool. If you do not have patience, and act on impulse you might get yourself in a bind, or cause your cycle to stall. Get a plan together, then execute it with limited to none intervention.

Fishless Cycles: Obviously, requires no fish. You can use Dr. Tim's Ammonia, it will help initiate the cycle quicker. But it's not going to ensure that it reaches completion faster. An alternative option, I would recommend going to the local store and buying a PURE source of ammonia. No additives, such as scents. Just grade A pure ammonia. You can then dose the ammonia to a level you desire. I have found that commercial bought ammonia usely require the consumer to also follow up with their brand of bacteria, which follows a dosing plan. Which if that is what you prefer, that's okay! When I dose pure ammonia, I just let nature do her thing. Another option, is to get a piece of raw shrimp, and put it in something like pantie hose. The natural decomposition of the shrimp will help initiate the cycle. With it being in the hose, it will help contain it when it starts breaking into pieces so it does not start disappearing into your tank.

Fish in: Requires more maintenance, in my opinion. But does provide results for many, and is considered the traditional method or old-school method of cycling a tank. I say more maintenance because it will require more frequent changing of water so that the ammonia doesn't burn up the gills of the fish. Most use a cheap and hardy fish, such as Damsels. If you do not intend on keeping the damsels, then you will have to rehome them at the end. But by naturally waste process and foods missed by feedings, this to will cycle the tank eventually.

I prefer the pure ammonia source. Less maintenance and testing, and no worries of re-homing fish. I can also dose to what I want and grow a colony of BB larger than what a fish-in cycle will support at the time, and then introduce as many organisms as I want at the beginning of the cycle. Thus, not having to worry as much because the BB colony will handle their bioload just fine and will naturally trim down to their bioload level. It is a good safety feature for me.

All methods work, it is your choice! Good luck!

OP
OP
L

Lermanator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now we're talking, a topic that I am super familiar with. So that I don't setup a roast fest on myself, I will inform you on the most common methods and then my preferred method. Also, if you will go under my threads that I have created, I have a more detailed explanation of what the cycle does and how it works.

For starters, nothing will guarantee that anything you do will speed up a certain cycle. There are just averages of when most cycles finish for people. My average is roughly 4 weeks, others have noticed longer. What I can guarantee you is, you need to have patience. That will be your most resourceful tool. If you do not have patience, and act on impulse you might get yourself in a bind, or cause your cycle to stall. Get a plan together, then execute it with limited to none intervention.

Fishless Cycles: Obviously, requires no fish. You can use Dr. Tim's Ammonia, it will help initiate the cycle quicker. But it's not going to ensure that it reaches completion faster. An alternative option, I would recommend going to the local store and buying a PURE source of ammonia. No additives, such as scents. Just grade A pure ammonia. You can then dose the ammonia to a level you desire. I have found that commercial bought ammonia usely require the consumer to also follow up with their brand of bacteria, which follows a dosing plan. Which if that is what you prefer, that's okay! When I dose pure ammonia, I just let nature do her thing. Another option, is to get a piece of raw shrimp, and put it in something like pantie hose. The natural decomposition of the shrimp will help initiate the cycle. With it being in the hose, it will help contain it when it starts breaking into pieces so it does not start disappearing into your tank.

Fish in: Requires more maintenance, in my opinion. But does provide results for many, and is considered the traditional method or old-school method of cycling a tank. I say more maintenance because it will require more frequent changing of water so that the ammonia doesn't burn up the gills of the fish. Most use a cheap and hardy fish, such as Damsels. If you do not intend on keeping the damsels, then you will have to rehome them at the end. But by naturally waste process and foods missed by feedings, this to will cycle the tank eventually.

I prefer the pure ammonia source. Less maintenance and testing, and no worries of re-homing fish. I can also dose to what I want and grow a colony of BB larger than what a fish-in cycle will support at the time, and then introduce as many organisms as I want at the beginning of the cycle. Thus, not having to worry as much because the BB colony will handle their bioload just fine and will naturally trim down to their bioload level. It is a good safety feature for me.

All methods work, it is your choice! Good luck!
Thanks for the detailed reply. I'll probably go with the Dr. Tim's. Should i put the Ammonia in before or after the nitrifying bacteria and should i put it in just once or over the course of a few days? Also, does the amount of Ammonia I need to put in depend on the amount and concentration of nitrifying bacteria I use?

Thanks

K-Philly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the detailed reply. I'll probably go with the Dr. Tim's. Should i put the Ammonia in before or after the nitrifying bacteria and should i put it in just once or over the course of a few days? Also, does the amount of Ammonia I need to put in depend on the amount and concentration of nitrifying bacteria I use?

Thanks
Sounds good! The bacteria will go in after, the ammonia is their "food source." But I must stress, follow the instructions as best you can for your bacteria. I can not tell you, because the company has a specific way that they have designed these things to work. Including the amount of ammonia to dose.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 68 35.8%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 60 31.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%
Back