How should I waterproof my stand?

  • Thread starter Thread starter vcnt
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

vcnt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 25, 2023
Messages
1,172
Reaction score
494
Location
NY
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So im building the stand, and now I need to water proof it.. Stand is made of ply and 2x6's
I just picked up these two, but google is telling me "NO NO NO NO NO FLEX SEAL!!!!"
Thoughts?
Should I return flex seal for something better?
I want it waterpoof so if if spill or if it gets wet... just wipes right up and also dont wanna spend big 💰💰💰💰💰 on paint!

1783977207125.png 1783977222628.png
 
If paint, polycrylic (water based).

If stain or bare wood, at least three coats of polyurethane or use Minwax Helmsman for the added salt resistance.

Just be sure to use any of those products in a well ventilated area or this will happen:

elmom-puppet.gif
 
So im building the stand, and now I need to water proof it.. Stand is made of ply and 2x6's
I just picked up these two, but google is telling me "NO NO NO NO NO FLEX SEAL!!!!"
Thoughts?
Should I return flex seal for something better?
I want it waterpoof so if if spill or if it gets wet... just wipes right up and also dont wanna spend big 💰💰💰💰💰 on paint!

1783977207125.png 1783977222628.png
I normally use marine paint it's expensive but holds up really well
Screenshot_20260713-182228.png
 
I normally use marine paint it's expensive but holds up really well
Screenshot_20260713-182228.png
do you find its chemically dangerous?
im super super super paranoid i dont want to get toxins in my tank... and ik this is for the stand 😭

it seems this is the same, and again my concern is the chemicalls
1783988578666.png
 
do you find its chemically dangerous?
im super super super paranoid i dont want to get toxins in my tank... and ik this is for the stand 😭
It off gasses for awhile most manufacturers say 24 hours but for a reef tank I'd let it offgas at least a week before putting an aquarium on it. I normally stick stuff that's offgassing in my shed but a garage or whatever would work. It won't continue to offgas long term though so unless you get paint in you aquarium you'll be fine
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 6 27.3%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 10 45.5%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 2 9.1%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 7 31.8%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 11 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 7 31.8%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new