How soon to add RBTA?

LogCorn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got my tank cycling two weeks ago, and have had a clown in for about a week and it’s doing really good, but how soon till I can add a RBTA?

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got my tank cycling two weeks ago, and have had a clown in for about a week and it’s doing really good, but how soon till I can add a RBTA?
8 months to a year. You dont want to add an anemone to a young maturing tank. The parameter swings of a young tank will usually kill anemones. You want to wait until your tank fully matures, and that can be anywhere from 8 months to a year.

OP
OP
L

LogCorn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
8 months to a year. You dont want to add an anemone to a young maturing tank. The parameter swings of a young tank will usually kill anemones. You want to wait until your tank fully matures, and that can be anywhere from 8 months to a year.

Really? Someone told me I’d be fine after a month

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can try, but the chance of losing it is extremely higher, and I would strongly recommend against it. In your tanks first year of life, you're going to have many parameter swings, and you're going to make mistakes and learn from those mistakes. Everyone does it, its inevitable. And anemones are very sensitive to parameter swings. I've seen many a thread where a user added an anemone and it looks bad and they're wondering why. And it's usually the result of a young new tank, or a parameter swing, or lighting issue. I know it's hard to wait, but patients is the name of the game in this hobby. Words to live by: Great things in this hobby take time, only bad things happen over night :)

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sadly many LFS could care less about the well being of the animals they sell. There is a big diferance between a tank being cycled and mature. Do not rush. Things and you will be much better off in this hobby. Personally I would not sell you one till your tank is at least 6 months old. If you tank was started with dry rock I would wait 9 months to a year. Each tank is different.

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blanket recommendations are not always useful. What really matters is the aquarist's experience, judgement, knowledge, and overall comfort level with reefkeeping. If you've set everything up properly, your equipment is well chosen and meets your needs, you test regularly and find that conditions are stable and optimal, and you see no issues of concern on regular inspection of your livestock and rocks, there is NO reason you can't add a BTA (or two, or ten) very soon (1 month) after setting up a new tank. Also rock flower anemones and mini maxi carpet anemones. However it's probably best overall to wait a while longer before adding full size carpets.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blanket recommendations are not always useful. What really matters is the aquarist's experience, judgement, knowledge, and overall comfort level with reefkeeping. If you've set everything up properly, your equipment is well chosen and meets your needs, you test regularly and find that conditions are stable and optimal, and you see no issues of concern on regular inspection of your livestock and rocks, there is NO reason you can't add a BTA (or two, or ten) very soon (1 month) after setting up a new tank. Also rock flower anemones and mini maxi carpet anemones. However it's probably best overall to wait a while longer before adding full size carpets.

Exactly it's more about how long the hobbyist should wait versus how long old the tank is.

Research, and more research and a completely cycled tank.

Know the substrates any specific anemone type needs, flow, water quality and placement.

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me, it’s more about stability when adding anemones. Each tank is different. My first tank I added my anemone at 3 months. The tank was stable and everything was thriving. My current tank is 3 years old. It isn’t stable. I have issues so I would not add an anemone.

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just beacause a tank has cycled, does not mean it is ready for a lot of different things we keep in our aquariums. There is a big diferance between a cycled tank, a stable one and a mature one. A tank can take a year or possibly longer to really become stable and mature. It is becoming very clear that tanks started with dry rock take the longest to reach that point.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 146 88.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back